Why become a member? ×

Had my first shot of a valve amp last night

Delberthot

I was playing at PJ Malloys in Dunfermline last night.

When I got there, I was under the impression that the bass amp they had there was an SVT III but after setting up I had a look at it and discovered that it was an SVT II Pro.

I've always wanted to try a valve amp so moved the amp over to where my own gear was and connected it to my cabinet. I waited in anticipation before I flicked the standby switch and was immediately disappointed.

I couldn't explain what was wrong initially but my guitarist said that, although it sounded a bit warmer, it lacked what my own amp and sound have.

I'm glad I got the chance to try it as I had been eyeing up a Marshall VBA400 for ages. They probably don't sound the same but I think that it gave me a good indication of what to expect.

The thing is that I tend to go for an edgy, grindy, aggressive sound and thought that tubes would sound better than my current Genz Shuttle in that respect but its definitely solid state 1, valves 0.

I'm glad I got the chance to try the amp out as valve amps are few and far between but I think that as far as my own sound requirements go, solid state is definitely the best option. Not to mention that the Ampeg weighed as much as my bass, cabinet and amp put together.

I wouldn't judge every valve amp on your initial experiences, if I was you. If the Ampeg hasn't been looked after, there could be all sorts of reasons why it didn't sound good. Also, there might be ways in which you could set the amp up to give you a sound closer to what you were looking for. The Shuttle is quite an aggressive and modern sounding amp too, not better or worse, just different. I have one at home in addition to about 3 valve heads, a stereo valve power amp and a valve guitar combo and the two types of technology are very much horses for courses.

If you've got your eye on the Marshall VBA then you should definitely give one a try before you dismiss it on the strength of someone else's SVT. The fact that you've got a shuttle (presumably a 3.0 with a ss pre amp) means you can bring it along to just about anywhere and give it a back to back test. But like Crazykiwi said, it really is horses for courses - a valve amp won't make you a better player and most punters won't notice the difference either but there are plenty of players who swear the osteopath bills are worth paying.

The one thing that got me was, instead of finding gentle overdrive, becoming more distorted as I turned up the volume like I was expecting, it sounded more like I was using a really cheap disortion pedal set to 'cheap farty sound'.

It did give off a really disconcerting buzing vibration when I switched the amp off standby to use it so it was possible that years of bands who maybe don't know the correct procedure for switching one on has taken its toll.

I'd never used a full valve amp before. I have an idea in my head of what I think one should sound like but that Ampeg sounded like a really cheap tranny amp.

I love the Shuttle because it can be very aggressive - I have the tube overdriving on every note I play. I expected a valve amp to be able to take that aggression one step further without it becoming full-blown fuzz.

I suppose the next step might be to find somewhere that I could try a few out. The Marshall is one that i wanted to try as well as Fender, Peavey, Orange and possibly even the Mark Bass one. The only barrier I can think of is that I have never ever seen a valve bass amp in a guitar shop ever other than Ampeg.

A road trip may be in order.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='459795' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:22 AM']I wouldn't judge every valve amp on your initial experiences, if I was you. If the Ampeg hasn't been looked after, there could be all sorts of reasons why it didn't sound good. Also, there might be ways in which you could set the amp up to give you a sound closer to what you were looking for. The Shuttle is quite an aggressive and modern sounding amp too, not better or worse, just different. I have one at home in addition to about 3 valve heads, a stereo valve power amp and a valve guitar combo and the two types of technology are very much horses for courses.[/quote]
+1.....also a room can make an incredible difference, and although you can tweak your own amp to suit, its more diff with someone elses.
I have found with the V8 it sounds so far just perfect in all gigs, griding grunt with grit oooooohaaaar, except in our practice room, feeling really disapointed I put it down to the room and use another amp.

Again, it all depends on what your ears tell you what you like.

For bass, I really dig the the old silver faced Fender Bassman heads. Never really got the Ampeg thing although I've heard people put a P bass or Stingray through them and they sounds great. I guess its all about matching the player, the bass and the amp together. For example, my GBs never really inspire me through Ampegs. Through my EBS rig though... perfect match.

On guitar, I am still a Fender nut. Fender Twin all the way for me. It's not just the addition of valves that can make an amp good though. I've yet to hear a Marshall amp that I really dig. The JTM45 was the closest.

As a generalisation, I like the cleaness of solid state for bass and valvey goodness for guitar... but that's just me.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='459790' date='Apr 11 2009, 07:52 AM']I was playing at PJ Malloys in Dunfermline last night.

When I got there, I was under the impression that the bass amp they had there was an SVT III but after setting up I had a look at it and discovered that it was an SVT II Pro.

I've always wanted to try a valve amp so moved the amp over to where my own gear was and connected it to my cabinet. I waited in anticipation before I flicked the standby switch and was immediately disappointed.

I couldn't explain what was wrong initially but my guitarist said that, although it sounded a bit warmer, it lacked what my own amp and sound have.

I'm glad I got the chance to try it as I had been eyeing up a Marshall VBA400 for ages. They probably don't sound the same but I think that it gave me a good indication of what to expect.

The thing is that I tend to go for an edgy, grindy, aggressive sound and thought that tubes would sound better than my current Genz Shuttle in that respect but its definitely solid state 1, valves 0.

I'm glad I got the chance to try the amp out as valve amps are few and far between but I think that as far as my own sound requirements go, solid state is definitely the best option. Not to mention that the Ampeg weighed as much as my bass, cabinet and amp put together.[/quote]

If your shuttle's a 6, and you find something you prefer and want to sell it, please let me know.

In my experience at least, older valve amps tend to get grindier with active basses. I've certainly found that with my Burman heads. That can be a good thing if you have an active bass with a gain trim pot on the preamp. Or better yet, just boost the bass or treble to grit up whatever you need. If you want clean tone then passive bass -> amp. There's no substitute.

My bass is passive - I don't do active.

Its just a single coil quarter pounder in my Warmoth.

I like simple - running everything fully open on the bass and using just the amp to adjust the sound. Thing is that I generally use the minimum of adjustments to an amp. Mainly everything run flat. I like having the valve overdriving just like I used to use the boost control on my old GK head for similar effect although having the valve in there has more of an effect.

I love valve amps but i know what you mean,it took me a while, when i thought it would be instant 60s groove i had dissapointment ,the valves could be on the way out i suppose,i keep meaning to build one but i am afraid of getting large ampage down my arm. The best amps are ones that dont colour the sound of your bass at all,im still looking for this one and my desk top pc and soundcard through monitors or a mixing desk has done this best so far. Im looking to try a sunn.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='DanFold' post='460133' date='Apr 11 2009, 09:11 PM']Your welcome to come try my Orange... You'll cry when you hear it. It sounds ace.

Sadly, not the sound I'm after with my band, I'd happily swap it for a VBA400.

And i'd agree with you on the SVT II pro, Not my cup of tea them.[/quote]
vba400 is fart, but put a bit of overdrive in front of it and it sings ;p try a matamp or a hiwatt and say that valve amps aren't hifi or great ;<

ive played a vba400 and loved it! the tone was wicked, and the eq really useful.

ive had an orange ad140b and it was awesome, played a 200b and it was just amazing! i prefer the ad to the vba.

ive never tried the svt pro 2, my pro 6 has a valve pre, and has 4 driver tubes, i love it gives the exact tone that i want! but someday i do hope to get my hands on a vintage svt all valve head.

ive also played thru a trace v4 head and 4x12 cab b4 i had my rig sorted thats at our drummers house! no that is a sweet sounding amp def recommend that if you can find one, i think u can get v6's and v8's to?

but the only thing with valve amps is they weight a tone, particually the vba!

Most bass players I know don't like the tone of an SVT IIPro?? very disappointing seems usual comment! Seeing as your in Falkirk, your most welcome to pop over to my practice room in Edinburgh and check out my Trace V4 all valve head and I'm sure Thornybank would bring a couple of his secret gems to the room also.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='460744' date='Apr 12 2009, 08:01 PM']Most bass players I know don't like the tone of an SVT IIPro?? very disappointing seems usual comment! Seeing as your in Falkirk, your most welcome to pop over to my practice room in Edinburgh and check out my Trace V4 all valve head and I'm sure Thornybank would bring a couple of his secret gems to the room also.

andy[/quote]

v4's are awesome!