Why become a member? ×

Should you match bass amps to cabs by the same manufacturer ?

Roger Eve

4 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

You’re all missing the point. Not only do you need a cab to match the head, you need both the 1x15 and the 4x10 that the same manufacturer has thoughtfully made available, so that you can be certain to cover the entire audio spectrum.

Don't forget the tweeter box for the true FFR experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Shouldn't the bass be from the same manufacturer as the amp and cab(s...) too, then..? And don't Fender pedal pedals, too..? They used to make PA systems; not Shure about microphones, though... -_-

Don't forget these

Fender cap.jpg

Fender tee.jpg

• Thanks 1

I only originally had a matching TE combo and matching extention 4x10 because they were bought together at a knock down price. I soon realised that humping the 4x10 up and down stairs for gigs wasn't something my back relished so I bought an SWR 2x10 ext cab and that has remained my gigging rig ever since, it's almost become my signature I guess as I've never seen anyone else use exactly the same combination in a pub. It will probably finally get sold off in the next year or two as I will be dramatically downscaling for future plans, including instruments.

On 30/03/2022 at 00:37, Dan Dare said:

Read what I said again. I did not say there is "little difference in drivers". I was referring to cabinets. Of course, I appreciate that paying more for a driver generally equates to better performance, but the cabinet is key. A modest driver in a well matched cab will give a better account of itself than an expensive one in a poorly designed cab'. The Basschat 1x12, which uses a reasonably priced Beyma driver in a simple/cheap to build but well designed box, is a case in point.

Look at cabs from the major manufacturers at any price point and you will see they are pretty close in size, design and performance. Many use the same or similar Eminence drivers. Eminence publish detailed performance figures and even suggest suitable cabinet sizes, so anyone with WinSD or similar can devise a suitable cab for their products

I "don't know this (yet)"? I actually use PJB cabs, which are not exactly bargain basement. I bought them because I tried them against the alternatives and preferred them. Just my preference. Others will have different opinions.

Perhaps, as you are a designer/manufacturer, it is in your interest to promote the notion that the differences are greater than they are and that paying more for your wares is worthwhile. 

I comprehended what you wrote plenty fine and you were clear in your assertion of both drivers and cabinets.

As a designer, I have designed commercially many cabinets including high end cabinets, middle of the road and those designed to a strict budget. There is an easily measured difference in all aspects of performance (as well as weight, fit/finish, quality of covering, hardware and grille) that goes along with the difference in price.

Real designers/engineers don't use vendor suggested cabinet designs because they have as much understanding of the principles behind the designs as the vendor's designers, and some of us have designed drivers as well when that's what's necessary to achieve the desired goals. Software (especially notoriously buggy software like WinISD) does not make somebody a true speaker designer. Understanding the way the various parameters trade off, the real world implications of what something looks like and calculates out to real world performance (and reliability) goes back to the basic principles, the math and a lot of experience. 

I agree that matching of the box to the driver is important to the total performance, but when you take a higher quality driver in a well designed box it will generally outperform by a wide margin a lower quality (or "budget") in an equally well designed box. This is why some products use more expensive components, because some players are looking for better than average performance, fit, finish, etc.

• Like 3

On 01/04/2022 at 01:39, agedhorse said:

when you take a higher quality driver in a well designed box it will generally outperform by a wide margin a lower quality (or "budget") in an equally well designed box

Well of course it will. Nobody, least of all me, said it wouldn't. The margin may not be as wide as some assert, mind. As I said, I appreciate that you wish to bark your wares, but you are arguing at crossed purposes with me.

Weight, fit/finish, quality of covering, hardware and grille may enhance pride of ownership, but they have no benefit as far as performance is concerned.

Once again, you appear to believe that I am ignorant and have no experience of quality gear. You are mistaken.

Edited by Dan Dare

On 01/04/2022 at 09:22, Dan Dare said:

Well of course it will. Nobody, least of all me, said it wouldn't. The margin may not be as wide as some assert, mind. As I said, I appreciate that you wish to bark your wares, but you are arguing at crossed purposes with me.

Weight, fit/finish, quality of covering, hardware and grille may enhance pride of ownership, but they have no benefit as far as performance is concerned.

Once again, you appear to believe that I am ignorant and have no experience of quality gear. You are mistaken.

Just to be clear, I have designed products for many brands and at different performance levels.

Fit/finish, quality of the covering, hardware and grille are all part of performance, as is size and weight, sensitivity, bandwidth (which tend to go along with higher quality, more expensive components). 

This has nothing to do with "barking my wares", as you have no idea who I have designed for other than what I have disclosed in my profile. Please stop with the personal attacks, I don't know what I may have done to you to deserve this, but it goes beyond disagreeing.