Why become a member? ×

Famous last words

Rayman

I turned 57 yesterday. I feel old.

However after 40yrs of GAS, I feel like I'm all but done with the search for basses.

Mrs Rayman bought me a beautiful DeArmond Starfire yesterday, so along with my really amazing Sunn Mustang (both fitted with tapes), a Hohner B Bass (bright and punchy) and an Aria Integra 5 (with a beautiful fretboard and low B), I really feel like all instrument options are finally covered. I feel satisfied (yes, we all say that when a new bass comes in).

I'm too long in the tooth for endless trading/buying..... so my GAS now turns to the backline.

Anyone else feel the same? Or am I kidding myself?

• Like 2

Happy birthday for yesterday Ray, it was my birthday too 😁, I keep thinking I’m done and then something catches my eye, I was happy with my markbass rig and then Ashdown brought out a new amp so I had to have that, then a barefaced cab had to be added, and then I got the valve itch so another amp was purchased , now I need a vintage fender, does it ever end , it’s good fun though 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Happy birthday for yesterday Ray, it was my birthday too 😁, I keep thinking I’m done and then something catches my eye, I was happy with my markbass rig and then Ashdown brought out a new amp so I had to have that, then a barefaced cab had to be added, and then I got the valve itch so another amp was purchased , now I need a vintage fender, does it ever end , it’s good fun though 😁

Same to you pal

Does it ever end? I fear not.

• Thanks 1

I am in a similar circumstance. What I have does everything I need, and everything I want. Part of playing for me has always been looking for the next shiny thing to covet (hence the 60+ instruments in 20 years).

There's one bass I MIGHT shift, but it needs a bit more time to see if it's excess to requirements, and another I might change the preamp in. Other than that, happy.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday for yesterday.  GAS is a fickle mistress, for me anyway! One minute I'm fine and the next I'm in physical pain for the shiny I've just seen online.  Current GAS for me would probably be a Strat and Tele for my home studio, or the new 40th Anniversary Squier Precision, in the blue colour.  I'm a sucker for a pretty P Bass.. 

I've not spent a massive amount of time on Basschat for the past 2 years either, and that helped with GAS also 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve more or less reached an impasse with my gear. I’ve whittled it down to the stuff I really like and don’t want to sell, but I can’t afford to buy anything else without doing so.

I could do with a good lightweight five string - that’s about the only thing I haven’t got that I’d really put to good use. 

But I’ll live without one just as easily. Happy with what I’ve got. 

9 hours ago, Rayman said:

after 40yrs of GAS, I feel like I'm all but done .... Mrs Rayman bought me a beautiful DeArmond Starfire yesterday

Am picturing someone down the pub, surrounded by friends, tucking into their fourth pint, saying "I'm celebrating never drinking again! Pint?"

• Haha 1

I have some beautiful great sounding and expensive basses, I can’t even call them basses any more, they’ve become “a collection” 

I have some of the best amps ever built according to the polls “a collection” too

pedals? A wardrobe top stacked high and my pedal board? Top line holy grail stinky poo, “a collection”

am I Satisfied?  
NOPE! 

like that Colombian marching powder once you start you just got to have more!! 

this place has forced me to buy several basses that I would never have known about. I stopped reading guitar/bass mags 10 years ago. They were just all the same

I bought a new Flea jazz when they first came out. Loved it, gigged it hard, now sold

Bought a JMJ Mustang last year. Have done 2 gigs with it. Absolute keeper this. Superb neck that feels like my '73 P bass

But now I dont need anything and have lost interest somewhat.

never say never though...................................😁

I've gone through a couple of phases when I've been clean, no GAS at all.  Then suddenly out of nowhere, like Messerschmitts flying out of the sun, I'll be hit again and fall off the wagon. 

Bit of a mixed metaphor there, sorry about that. :) 

GAS seems to be a negative term but I never see my purchases that way so I prefer to think of it as just curiosity.

Never say never.  The only reason I'm GAS free at the moment is the Gear Abstinence thread which I am determined to win.  Stubbornness and an aversion to the walk of shame trumps GAS, it would seem.  But next year, I'll probably buy something, having learned nothing :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It never really goes, does it ?

I have 3 basses. One of which I'm perpetually threatening to sell on here, as I don't think 5 string agrees with me, and I'm always looking for one of it's 4 string brethren in hope of a swap.

"Threatening" mind, never actually do it.

I no longer gig, therefore I don't need an amp but I have a Headrush FRFR 108 "just in case" to put my modeller through.

The aforementioned modeller has somehow multiplied to fill the room space :scratch_one-s_head:

I sold a Boss GT1000 a couple of weeks ago, and next week it's smaller brother GT CORE arrived :facepalm:

I've also ended up with both the Floor Helix and the Helix Rack and foot controller. So the Rack etc will be going for loot, or trade. (he said)

Don't ask me about software....:whoopass:

Yes, non-playing 65 year old this year. Tragic... :thank_you:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, there are so many of these responses I empathise with!  Turned 59 a month ago.  Back around my 50th birthday I commissioned an ACG custom build as my LAST bass - no band, no gigs, bedroom playing only.  In the next month or so I'll be taking delivery of my 5th Zoot custom, none of which I owned on my 50th birthday.  I've even started looking lasciviously at the new TE head FFS! 1200w for more or less exclusive bedroom use - I need my bumps felt.  I'm going to the Guitar and Bass Show in Liverpool tomorrow - God knows what will be on the shopping list after that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 29/03/2022 at 12:33, Rayman said:

However after 40yrs of GAS, I feel like I'm all but done with the search for basses. 

Anyone else feel the same? 

I feel the same every day...

... for about five minutes just after I wake up. Once the disorientating "Where am I, what day is it?" feeling wears off it's business as usual. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Maude said:

I feel the same every day...

... for about five minutes just after I wake up. Once the disorientating "Where am I, what day is it?" feeling wears off it's business as usual. 

Have you purchased that bass gallery item yet or do you need more beer 😂🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Have you purchased that bass gallery item yet or do you need more beer 😂🤣

"Innkeeper. MORE LIQUOR!" 

😂😂😂

Edited by Maude
Spilt drink.
  • Like 1

I also turned 59 a month ago.  After buying my first fiver at the start of February I didn't touch any of my 4 string basses, until Thursday.  I was really missing playing them and after giving in to temptation I'm really enjoying playing some of my 4 string basses again.  So no GAS for the time being but the trouble with 4 string basses is that there are so many different options out there that GAS will come back harder I'm sure.  

And anyway, I like buying new basses, I'm not interested in rehab or getting a sponsor, I'm happy with all the enablers here on Basschat.

Edited by BillyBass

The last bass I bought was about a year ago. I went twenty years without buying one but was kept busy with what I had. I would love a good excuse to buy more even though I'm 60 this year but that's not the same as GAS. It's curiosity. Dangerous thing judging yourself by age rather than all the other facets that make up who you are. Spoke to a bass player mate of mine who used to play with Wizard back in the day. He was mid sixties and his wife had just had another baby! Makes buying another bass look a bit trivial. I had my kids late in life (though not THAT late). It's definitely kept me young. Maybe basses do the same, just cheaper.

On 29/03/2022 at 12:33, Rayman said:

I turned 57 yesterday. I feel old.

Mrs Rayman bought me a beautiful DeArmond Starfire yesterday, so along with my really amazing Sunn Mustang (both fitted with tapes), a Hohner B Bass (bright and punchy) and an Aria Integra 5 (with a beautiful fretboard and low B), I really feel like all instrument options are finally covered. I feel satisfied (yes, we all say that when a new bass comes in).

I'm too long in the tooth for endless trading/buying..... so my GAS now turns to the backline.

Anyone else feel the same? Or am I kidding myself?

I find a gander at the basses for sale forum disabuses me of any similar notion.