Why become a member? ×

Medium scale flats

Rayman

From TB

I think they share a 30.75" scale length with their Guild namesakes. The confusion as to whether either one has a "short" or "medium" scale length arises from the extra distance between the bridge saddles and string anchor points (when compared to, say, a Fender Precision or Jazz bass). Because of this, some string sets for these basses must be medium-scale rather than short-scale in order to keep the silk wrappings out of the nut slots. The same holds true for Fender Mustang Basses (the new "PJ" excepted) because of their "string-through" bridge design.

That said, I must admit that I've never owned or even played a DeArmond Starfire (only Guilds), so someone with more intimate knowledge than myself self will probably chime in later to either confirm or refute the above.

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

The last set of 'short scale' flats I purchased (Rotosound 77's) were for a 30" scale length and I had to scrape away the windings on the one string when fitting to my 30.5" short scale.

Rotosounds 'medium scale' set fitted my 30" scale through body strung bass.

Check the manufacturers spec it is normally stated, but would suggest you are looking at 'medium scale' from most manufacturers for a 31" scale length.

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

From TB

I think they share a 30.75" scale length with their Guild namesakes. The confusion as to whether either one has a "short" or "medium" scale length arises from the extra distance between the bridge saddles and string anchor points (when compared to, say, a Fender Precision or Jazz bass). Because of this, some string sets for these basses must be medium-scale rather than short-scale in order to keep the silk wrappings out of the nut slots. The same holds true for Fender Mustang Basses (the new "PJ" excepted) because of their "string-through" bridge design.

That said, I must admit that I've never owned or even played a DeArmond Starfire (only Guilds), so someone with more intimate knowledge than myself self will probably chime in later to either confirm or refute the above.

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html

And for some basses the main speaking part of the string ends up going round the tuning machine too - and with a flat that can cause a breakage.

But a fair amount of the manufacturers do show the max length between the ball end and any headstock taper so you can compare with your bass.

I think you'd want medium scale for Dunlops as their silks start very close to the nut once installed. The short scales would probably have silk in the nut otherwise.

18 hours ago, Rayman said:

I'm after flats or tapes for a Dearmond Starfire which measures about 31" ..... so is that Short or Medium scale? 

I got some 32 scale flat strings a few years ago from Bass Direct. I'm sure they had a webpage with actual ball to silk/taper measurements - can't find it now, perhaps it has gone. You could try them.