Why become a member? ×

GAS - disappointment

Dunk

I enjoy being on Bass Chat for a number of reasons but one of my original motivations for joining was the ‘For Sale’ topics. 

I generally check 2-3 times a week to see what’s been posted but yesterday I didn’t (Mother’s Day, visiting in-laws etc) … today I saw my dream bass in the ads, but already sold within 24hrs!! 😮 listed and sold before I even saw it!! genuinely a bit gutted.. 

I will now be checking EVERY day!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I try and check most days. Had disappointment last month and it was my own fault, posted that if it was still there on payday, I’d buy it. Was sold a couple of hours later, should have kept my mouth shut. 🤣

Anyone else read the forum from the bottom up, like me, leaving the basses to last? Kinda build up in budget expectations, look at multiple cheaper items, so an expensive purchase doesn’t seem so bad?

• Like 1

I posted in the Wanted this time last week and also put a Bass up for sale in the Classifieds. On Wednesday I had someone offer me the Bass I was after and another person offered to buy the Bass I was selling too! What's even better they both live reasonably close to each other so I'm driving up on Friday to drop off mine and pick up the new one, so not having to worry about Couriers jumping on the Basses!

Proof both Wanted and For Sale works ( for me)!

• Like 5

On 27/03/2022 at 12:56, Rayman said:

Yep….. been there. It’s worse when you take a punt on a bass that you quite fancy, then see the one you really wanted appear the next day, but you now can’t afford it.

It's even worse when you see a bass you quite fancy, then one that you really fancy, then one that you really fancy, then you check your bank and it says "your balance is £hahahanochancemate.00"

• Haha 3

On 27/03/2022 at 12:20, Dunk said:

I enjoy being on Bass Chat for a number of reasons but one of my original motivations for joining was the ‘For Sale’ topics. 

I generally check 2-3 times a week to see what’s been posted but yesterday I didn’t (Mother’s Day, visiting in-laws etc) … today I saw my dream bass in the ads, but already sold within 24hrs!! 😮 listed and sold before I even saw it!! genuinely a bit gutted.. 

I will now be checking EVERY day!! 

Amateur!

• Haha 2

I'm in this WhatsApp group that was initiated by a few members of leftybassist.com, called "Lefty Bassists United", and if I thought that forum was bad for my GAS, that WhatsApp group is all kinds of worse! Turns out a few of these guys are buying and selling a LOT more than they show on the forum, and it's incredibly GAS-inducing on many ocassions. I've been able to withstand it so far, but this one guy who I've started calling Paulo the Enabler reached out to me privately last Saturday to tell me "I remember you saying there's this one bass you've been fancying for a while. I've got one that I've owned for maybe 3 months, but I keep playing my homemade shortscale more. Fancy a trade?" 

So naturally I did the right thing and quickly regained my composure, did not stray from the Holy Path of Gear Abstinence and definitely and defiantly did NOT succumb to temptation, and under no circumstances will there be a NBD thread in my near future. Nope.  

:ph34r:

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

A while back someone put up for sale a Pelham blue Jack Casady, with a hard case and upgraded bridge. I think it even had flats, damnit. Perfect. 

I saw it and made a mental note to message the owner when I got home. In the intervening two hours of course it sold.

Edited by Andy_L
  • Like 1

On 27/03/2022 at 12:56, Rayman said:

Yep….. been there. It’s worse when you take a punt on a bass that you quite fancy, then see the one you really wanted appear the next day, but you now can’t afford it.

That's a warning to me.

I saw a through-neck Washburn, buyer collection from Alloa, £350. Barely affordable, and I have never tried one before. 

I have now decided not to try to get it.

Instead, I will use the Wanted ads to go for the instrument that I really want. 

I'm hoping for the opposite - there's a lovely lefty fretless Wal on Reverb at the moment with an eye watering price tag of £8000.

I just want someone to buy it so that I don't end up drunkenly trying to sell a kidney/heart/lung to afford it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oomo said:

I'm hoping for the opposite - there's a lovely lefty fretless Wal on Reverb at the moment with an eye watering price tag of £8000.

I just want someone to buy it so that I don't end up drunkenly trying to sell a kidney/heart/lung to afford it.

Similarly there's a certain bass in The Bass Gallery I have absolutely fallen for, but it's way overpriced. 

Stupidly I don't even want to highlight it here in case someone does buy it. 

The bank card is at the ready and I'm about to start drinking. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2