Why become a member? ×

Did you ever buy a bass you'd previously overlooked?

jd56hawk

Never really considered one of these in my eight years of playing, though I've owned a number of Epiphone Thunderbirds.

Took one for a spin last week and discovered I've been missing something special.

(Hipshot Supertone 3-point bridge and Magma black tapewounds.)

Picsart_22-03-26_21-24-26-553.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 10

Nice. I missed out on one recently, always been on my radar after my bass player for my solo stuff bought one just like that, and sounded fantastic. I just fullfiled my semi urges with a Guild Starfire instead. 

• Like 1

P-Basses. In my younger days, I'd always shunned them totally for being so boring (as I saw it) and common, preferring flashier basses with more bells and whistles.

I then bought a Classic Series 50's and realised what all the endless clichés are about, with regards to 'sitting in the mix perfectly' and  'sounding great with no tweaking required'. They're ubiquitous for a reason and it took me near 20 years to show them some respect.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, 40hz said:

P-Basses. In my younger days, I'd always shunned them totally for being so boring (as I saw it) and common, preferring flashier basses with more bells and whistles.

I then bought a Classic Series 50's and realised what all the endless clichés are about, with regards to 'sitting in the mix perfectly' and  'sounding great with no tweaking required'. They're ubiquitous for a reason and it took me near 20 years to show them some respect.

This exactly.

• Like 3

Guitar-wise; a Fender player series Lead II. I hadn't even heard of them before i saw it in the shop, but it's basically a mash up of almost everything I like about telecasters and strats, and nothing I dislike about either. I really don't understand why more people arent into them, they're great.

Bass-wise; None that I did buy. But there was one that I would have bought if I could have afforded it there and then, but am now very glad that I don't own.  5 string Warwick Thumb.

At one gig I was speaking to the bassist from another band who was playing a bass that I thought (and still think) was ugly as sin; a 5 string warwick thumb. He encouraged me try it for a wee minute after soundscheck, and I have to admit, it was genuinely one of the nicest sounding and feeling basses I'd ever played in my entire life.

In that moment, I was entirely willing to ignore the horrific ugliness of that bass.  From the horrible stumpy lower horn and the wooden dildo that is the upper horn, to the horrible aesthetic inbalance of the oversized two piece bridge and two pickups crammed at the end of the body then an acre of empty space between the pickups and the fretboard, I would actually be embarassed to be seen playing that thing in public (never mind having payed £2000+ for the thing).  Bullet well and truly dodged. 😅

T2.jpg

• Like 1

Yarp.

Never fancied a jazz, they just neved tugged my rug.  Then one day I read the review in Misic Radar of the MIM Geddy Lee, which they pronounced as the best bass for a grand bar none

Brave talk indeed, so I tried a few and found that I couldn't disagree. Having been totally re-calibrated on the matter I had to put my money where my mouth was.

• 7 months later...

I’ve gone so far as to repurchase  2 that I’ve owned previously . I was a bit hasty getting rid of a Vigier Passion and a Status  t 5 fretless. During my first ownership, I just didn’t quite get dialed in with them, but a bit more time with other basses and I realized where they could “sorta fit” with some music/ bands I played with.

certainly I have over looked other great basses due to lack of experience or proper musical environment (or money!) 

to use them when I first saw or played them.

I avoided Precisions like the plague for 20 years because everyone played them and I too thought they were boring looking and a cliche. 

My hat's been eaten and I love my P. I don't need anything else. 

Saying that, it's only a matter of time before I cross paths with a Jack Casady. 

I saw Mani use a couple live with the Stone Roses. He sounded spectacular! Killer. 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2022 at 13:05, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

Guitar-wise; a Fender player series Lead II. I hadn't even heard of them before i saw it in the shop, but it's basically a mash up of almost everything I like about telecasters and strats, and nothing I dislike about either. I really don't understand why more people arent into them, they're great.

Bass-wise; None that I did buy. But there was one that I would have bought if I could have afforded it there and then, but am now very glad that I don't own.  5 string Warwick Thumb.

At one gig I was speaking to the bassist from another band who was playing a bass that I thought (and still think) was ugly as sin; a 5 string warwick thumb. He encouraged me try it for a wee minute after soundscheck, and I have to admit, it was genuinely one of the nicest sounding and feeling basses I'd ever played in my entire life.

In that moment, I was entirely willing to ignore the horrific ugliness of that bass.  From the horrible stumpy lower horn and the wooden dildo that is the upper horn, to the horrible aesthetic inbalance of the oversized two piece bridge and two pickups crammed at the end of the body then an acre of empty space between the pickups and the fretboard, I would actually be embarassed to be seen playing that thing in public (never mind having payed £2000+ for the thing).  Bullet well and truly dodged. 😅

T2.jpg

Wooden Dildo would be a great name for a folk rock band.

Ive overlooked Schecter basses and never really paid attention to them

Now I own two

On 27/03/2022 at 06:22, 40hz said:

Those cliches can be said about Jazzes and Stingrays too...just depends on the application and the owner's bias....In the past 30 years, Ive owned three Precisons (the one I own now is an American Performer PJ so technically doesnt count). Like any of my other basses: they are perfect on some things, not so much on others. I guess I still dont get the hype after three+ decades  lol

Edited by Rib13Bass

I'd always summarily dismissed Rickenbackers as one trick clank planks that were too heavy and over priced.  By chance I happened upon an accurate, quality, early 70s Japanese faker that was an affordable punt and it completely reversed my opinion about them being one trick clank planks, finding it to be just as versatile as any other bass, just 'different'.  I had to move it on as it was too heavy, more is the pity.  So now I just consider Rics as being too heavy and over priced :D 

• Haha 1

Hohner Jack Bass...Yeah I bet everyone on the forum was expecting that next : )

When i started on bass in 1990 these basses were everywhere...and at the time being a 15 year old with dreams of being the next Lemmy, they didn't really get a second look.

Fast forward to 2021 and wanting something compact to fit into my locker at work and finding short scale basses not to my liking I took the plunge....what an overlooked jem! full scale neck, shorter than the short scale, super resonant, comfy like a stinky old pair of trainers...goes on holiday with me much to everyone elses annoyance...and good enough to gig : )

• Like 2

After seeing a band with a short bass player playing a Jazz bass, for years I ignored anything with a big Fender style headstock for fear of looking as silly as I thought he did at the time - it really looked as big as him!  With hindsight, I was clearly taller than him (I'm 5'7") but it influenced my choice of instrument for ages. I went with 'two-a-side' paddle headstocks before discovering the headless bass - first a Hohner Jack, then a Steinberger Spirit which I still have. I dabbled with short scales and now have a Gretsch Electromatic which I like. 

But last year I bought a Stingray 34HH and last month a Precision. Why did I wait so long? 😃

I traded back a bass that I previously overlooked if that counts?

Traded my (heavily modified) Sandberg Cali VTII for a nordy cat bass back in the summer as I didn't click with it in 5 years I'd owned it from new (hence the mods). Enjoyed the cat bass but was always scared of breaking it as I'm a heavy dude with some heavy bass throwage on stage.

Long story longer, Got GAS for a preamp pedal (Origin bassrig) and put it up for sale.  The original owner of the cat dropped a message to trade back as he missed the Acinonyx so thought "why not?". 

I now see my Sandberg in a completely new light. I still think the PJ pick up config is too close together to get the known PJ sound, but when the P is solo'd its just the great, growly, mid heavy P that plays like it was made for me. Video from first gig back with it... 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CknZWrMoKj0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by thisisswanbon
  • Like 1

I'd always passed the viola basses by, they looked amazing but not for me style- or sound-wise. Then, slowly over the last year, I started seeing videos of fretless versions and thought they sounded double bass-ish...and gave a b-stock Harley Benton Beatbass Fretless a home...so glad I did! Even without a proper setup but with tapewounds fitted, this can do double bass and loads of other tones! The controls I thought weren't flexible enough, but actually give quick access to certain tones, the weight is...different... (all the weight is in the neck, wide strap is needed). It's not for everything or everyone, and I'm going to try some Chromes on (D'Addario tapewounds aren't as smooth as I thought), but man this is good, especially as fretless!

Edited by ag42