Why become a member? ×

Has anyone bought a bass on a whim just cos of its looks?

About 19 years ago, i was ordered to go to some music instrument and stuff exhibition. I suddenly saw it and couldn't walk away. I did't even knew a brand that made it, but it looked perfect for me and then we talked over the details about it and i bought it. Here it is - Italian hand made - D'alessandro 5 string fretted nechthrough.

d_alessandro.jpg

Edited by nilorius

On 30/04/2022 at 08:52, Reggaebass said:

Yes quite a few, one I’m glad I did buy was my Hohner B2A, it’s a great bass and it has a different feel to everything else I’ve got, it’s quite a powerful thing in active mode 

CB92A805-388A-43EB-B16D-61E4666139DC.jpeg

I had to replace the bass parts on an album once, the original player was good but had messed up on timing and feel of some tracks so vocalist wanted another player.

I arrived with a Warwick, a stingray and as I left I picked up my Hohner B2A as a “just in case” - the engineer/producer said “try that funny 80’s thing” and we used it on 9 more tracks - he couldn’t believe the noise out of it.

Sold it years ago. Keep on meaning to get another.

18 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I saw a bassist use one of these with the French artist Camille a few years ago. It sounded amazing! 

This is the only bass I keep with flats on. It's just a good sounding bass with enough options to be a work horse.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Yep. My new bass for life for now ☺

It looked as worn out as I am and it was love at first sight.

li8symudqkg21riqt3co.jpg

ccjzy2uhnq719epqdgnu.jpg

qymuuopssnovsnikkwke.jpg

Nice! I don't like the precition type, but the finish and that road worn style looks great !

• Thanks 1

I bought this 1/2 size kids P bass from a charity shop pretty much because I liked the colour. Also it was less than £5 which might have swayed me...

91CB63E0-9488-49C0-9444-BF6D5C23274A.thumb.jpeg.655bddbd02ada8617cf6e4a5c0e2ecd7.jpeg

I’m fully aware that these things are regarded as trash but still use it now, it actually records really well.

• Like 3