Why become a member? ×

Lightweight 5-string basses?

40hz

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before somewhat, but in the interests of being up to date, anyone have any experience of lightweight 5-string basses? (Budget around £1500).

I've been looking at Stingray 5's but the weight on them seems to hover around the 10lbs+ mark, which is going to be too much with 2 hour gigs, twice a week. I know the specials are lighter (in theory) but I don't have £2700 to drop on a bass.

Sandberg Superlights look great, but I'm not overly keen on the aesthetics of most Sandberg basses, as brilliant as they are.

Lakland 55-02 was top of my wish list but again, weights seem to be 10lbs+ on most.

Opinions and experiences anyone? :)

I'm also interested.

It's a subject that has currently grabbed my attention. I played my heavier (9 1/2lb) bass for 3 hours last night. Today my back aches and I have to be very careful or I'll not be able to stand. This has nothing to do with working out (I do) or better straps (mine are excellent) it's about injuries and wear and tear on load bearing joints.

6lb basses here I come.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'm also interested.

It's a subject that has currently grabbed my attention. I played my heavier (9 1/2lb) bass for 3 hours last night. Today my back aches and I have to be very careful or I'll not be able to stand. This has nothing to do with working out (I do) or better straps (mine are excellent) it's about injuries and wear and tear on load bearing joints.

6lb basses here I come.

Agree 100%.  I'm in good shape physically (I'm 36 and work out) but I get back ache with any bass over 9.5lbs (weirdly specific but valid!). It's also about taking care of my body going forward, so I don't end up like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

I know a Stingray Special is probably the ticket, but even used (likely in a colour I won't like, as I'm fussy) that's gonna run the best part of 2k. Not to mention I've seen some reports that some specials, recently, aren't actually *that* light and come in over 9lbs. 

6 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

My Ibanez EHB 5-string is under 3.3kg (about 7lbs). Most comfortable live bass I've ever played, and the weight is definitely a huge part of it.

8obSyVP.jpg

I normally wouldn't be an Ibanez fan, but that looks bloody lovely! Great weight too!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

I have a 55-02 and i think it's fairly light, though my other gigging bass is a 70's fender, so take that with a pinch of salt! I'll try and weigh it, they definitely vary a lot though as I played 3 or 4 other skyline 5 strings when getting mine and mine was the lightest by a long way. 

• Thanks 1

I had three Maruszczyk Jake 5's all around the 7lb/3ish kg mark (two of them are with bass bros at the moment as I've gone short scale to the Ibanez EHB5SMS - short scale version of the one above).

Edited by 6feet7
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

My latest Bongo 5 is under 8 lbs and Stingray 5 Specials are generally under 9 lbs - mine is a little over 8 lbs. 

That Bongo weight sounds incredible for a 5er! Are your Stingray 5's earlier models or later?

Edited by 40hz

50 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

I had three Maruszczyk Jake 5's all around the 7lb/3ish kg mark (two of them are with bass bros at the moment as I've gone short scale to the Ibanez EHB5SMS - short scale version of the one above).

The seafoam/blue coloured one looks great. Thanks for the heads up! Never really considered Maruszczyk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 40hz said:

That Bongo weight sounds incredible for a 5er! Are you Stingray 5's earlier models or later?

The Stingray 5 Specials are post 2018. There are lighter SR5s around from earlier times but you have to search - my 2003 one is about 10.5 lbs - however it balances really well on a padded strap so I’m able to do 2 x 45 with it - even at my advanced years!!! Sounds great as well. 

I think the terms "lightweight" and "5 string bass" rarely go together! 😄

In all seriousness though, I had a similar problem; I've got a great Overwater 5 string Jazz which sounds great, but it's a heavy one - I bought it when I was 40 and now that I'm not too far away from 60, I should have taken into consideration that I was going to get old when I commissioned it in 2003. I eventually bought a Swamp Ash Xotic Jazz 5 a few years ago, which is a lighter axe to use on a gig, and my back doesn't ache so much after a couple of sets. Swamp Ash is a lighter wood than most, and might be worth considering when you're looking for a lighter 5 string?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 40hz said:

That Bongo weight sounds incredible for a 5er! Are your Stingray 5's earlier models or later?

My 2007 Bongo 5 weighs about 10lbs and is a bit of a boat anchor. My 2018 fretless 5 is much, much lighter, with the newer lightweight aluminium hardware, and tips the scales at a little over 7lbs. My most recent Bongo (a sixer) weighs a little under 9lbs, and I reckon most of that extra weight is from the neck. 

If you're going custom, a lot of builders are using a timber called paulowina as a decent lightweight replacement for ash - I know ACG, Sei, Sandberg and several others now offer it as a body wood option. I've heard good and bad things - the tone is supposed to be good, but it apparently dings quite easily. 

I’d love to see a Bongo 6 under 9lbs. When I was on the lookout I saw more than 20 of all different eras and not one was under 10lbs. Pro Music Tools in Germany has a new one in harvest orange - just over 10lbs. 

My lightest 5s are my Stingray Special (8lb 7oz) and Dingwall ABZ5 (8lbs). I don’t really need anything lighter. 

• Like 1

I had a few lightweight (8lbs or less) 5ers.  A Maroos-chick Jake 5, around 8lbs.  A Hohner B2V, around 8lbs (not less, surprisingly).  SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB 315 was around 7.5lbs I think.  The lightest was a Fender MB-5 which was around 7lbs.  Don't see them very often.

46 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I’d love to see a Bongo 6 under 9lbs. When I was on the lookout I saw more than 20 of all different eras and not one was under 10lbs. Pro Music Tools in Germany has a new one in harvest orange - just over 10lbs. 

My lightest 5s are my Stingray Special (8lb 7oz) and Dingwall ABZ5 (8lbs). I don’t really need anything lighter. 

Mine is under 9lbs... just. 8lbs 12oz. :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Naigewron said:

My Ibanez EHB 5-string is under 3.3kg (about 7lbs). Most comfortable live bass I've ever played, and the weight is definitely a huge part of it.

8obSyVP.jpg

What I was coming here to suggest that. 

Also the elwood chambered bass, that doesn't weigh much at all, but not in the same scale as the EHB1505

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Naigewron said:

8obSyVP.jpg

Mine arrives 15:33-16:33 today.

I screwed up my back playing rugby for a couple of decades so I need super light and super balanced.  

This will fit the bill perfectly (I hope).

• Like 1