Why become a member? ×

Same bass x2

Rayman

I have a bit of an obsession, for having two almost identical basses, a #1 and a #2, for gigs. So when I have my #1 bass I have to have virtually the same bass as the spare. Doesn’t have to be exactly the same, colour etc…. But there or thereabouts, ie: two P basses, or two Warwick Streamers… etc

Anyone else the same? Or do you like to mix it up?

Yes. 

It is also slightly obsessional. I like to have two basses, workhorses, that I can switch between without having any worries about tonal or set up differences.  A "back up" instrument, if you will.

For different types of gigs, I have different basses :) , but it's usually the same instrument if I can get away with it. It's #2 will hopefully be replaced in the near future with a matching custom build. Just got to sell a kidney first!

Dood

Edited by Dood
  • Like 1

Yes. Now that I have stopped obsessively collecting instruments and just settled on the ones I like and need for the bands I play in I have got it down to four.

For one band I use one of two Gus G3 5-strings (one black, one CAR).

For the other band I have an Eastwood Hooky bass and a Burns Barracuda, both different shades of red, but the Burns will shortly be sold and replaced with another Eastwood (maybe in red maybe not).

• Like 1

Sort of. Two Precisions and a Super PZ5 (effectively another Precision). I generally take two basses to a gig. I play whichever one suits the gig, the other is emergency only but I will still feel at home if I need to switch to it. But no two of the three are really identical, just similar.

Yes. If I like something I have more than once ended up getting more of the same. 

- have an addiction to Spector NS models, both US and Euro, have 7 of them while 2 or 3 would do fine (recording and gigging with backup)

- love the Ibanez Prestige Soundgear six strings, currently have two of them  (SR3006 and 5006) but there's gonna be more I think, a 1SR006 calls my name 🙂

- have a fretted / fretless pair of WW Thumb 6NT Both of them are quite recent so I may end up another one but from the '89-'91 period.... 

I wasn't sure whether I preferred a white or sunburst vintage pro thunderbird, so I have both. If I don't look I have no way of knowing which one I'm playing as apart from the colour they are identical including the strings and setup. I also have a couple of mustangs, an off-white CIJ and a blue JMJ which sound fairly similar but each feels totally different to the other.

I like to mix mine up a bit and most of my basses sound totally different (to me, anyway) Eg. I tend to swap between a Ric and SG for my blues band and am happy enough with a tone in the ball park of what I'm after rather than trying to replicate 1 tone across both basses.

I never really saw the point in having multiple versions of a bass that does the same thing and enjoy the variety of playing different basses.

However, if I was in anyway near a remotely serious band then I could see the point in having a backup bass that could replicate my main bass. And you better believe I'll have loads of Ric's if I came into some money. I can also see the point of having 2 basses for flats and rounds etc

Yep, 4 gigging Precisions:

3 x black/tort/rosewood 

1 x black/white/rosewood 

The last one is a cheap Squier, off the shelf £12 pickguards don’t fit and for a £100 bass I’m  not spending £50 on a custom made one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dood said:

Yes. 

It is also slightly obsessional. I like to have two basses, workhorses, that I can switch between without having any worries about tonal or set up differences.  A "back up" instrument, if you will.

For different types of gigs, I have different basses :) , but it's usually the same instrument if I can get away with it. It's #2 will hopefully be replaced in the near future with a matching custom build. Just got to sell a kidney first!

Dood

You only need one kidney

• Haha 1

I'm exactly the same. 2 x older sunburst Fender Precisions, then 2 x sunburst Japanese Precisions (same neck dimensions as the older ones) and now 2 x SVL Reserves (copies of my 66 Precision - except a different colour).

I currently have 5 Precisions that are (essentially) identical.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I'm exactly the same. 2 x older sunburst Fender Precisions, then 2 x sunburst Japanese Precisions (same neck dimensions as the older ones) and now 2 x SVL Reserves (copies of my 66 Precision - except a different colour).

I currently have 5 Precisions that are (essentially) identical.

That sounds like a lovely collection! Do you mind me asking why you have 5 that are pretty much identical though? Different tunings? Some for flats & some rounds? Only asking because it's the complete opposite of my way of thinking and I'm curious ☺️

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Because Basschat.

I mean, that reason is close to impossible to argue with and one I've used before when the Mrs asks why I want a new bass. It makes a lot of sense!

However, part of my excuses reasonings as to why I want a new bass is that I want different flavours, they do different jobs or sound different. This way I can fool my brain into justifying a new bass. So having 5 of the same flavours is almost taking away that excuse reason for buying a new bass.

• Haha 2

I share this obsession, and aside from backup purposes I also like to own both a 4 and a 5 string version of the same bass. My "twins" are / were:

Ibanez MC924: I have both a 1981 and a 1983 model. Technically not twins, because other than their model designation they are very different;

Ibanez ATK: I only have my ATK305 left, but I also used to own two ATK300's at the same time;

Yamaha TRB5II: I had both an amber and a transparent blue one. Lovely basses, very sturdy workhorses and pretty too;

Warwick: I have a Streamer LX and an LX5, both in a beautiful gloss finish;

Status Graphite: I have both a 4-string and a 5-string S2 Classic bolt-on headless;

Squier MIJ Stratocaster: I have both an E-series (1984-1987) and a Silver Series (1991) that feel and sound very similar.

4 hours ago, Jonesy said:

That sounds like a lovely collection! Do you mind me asking why you have 5 that are pretty much identical though? Different tunings? Some for flats & some rounds? Only asking because it's the complete opposite of my way of thinking and I'm curious ☺️

I'm afraid there's no answer that would satisfy anyone's partner!

I have my two 'old' Precisions still, and my two SVLs (the current stage basses). I also have a 71 Precision that I got because it was going at a good price. They are all strung with flats (because I favour those). No different tunings etc. All 3 oldies are pretty much retired but I just love them.

Now one of the old ones did have rounds on it (for use in another band) but I bought a Sterling SUB for that band (and then bought an OLP one - you need two, right?).

So 5 basses all the same, and another two. I do have just the one fretless (now) but only use it for 3 numbers and I could use either other bass if I had to.

I'm not convincing anyone am I? 🙂

Edited by Steve Browning

Yes, I have two which are almost twins - a Sei Original headless fretless 5, and, for backup, a Hohner B2AV. Apart from the slight difference in the body shape, the difference in the number of frets, and the neck profile, they're pretty much identical. I'm just popping out to Barnard Castle.