Why become a member? ×

Limelight

nash

Never played one, but similarly never read a bad word about them. I do find that the majority of Limelight Precisions that come up for sale have Jazz necks, otherwise I`m sure I`d have bought one by now. I have in fact been considering getting a regular Precision from them in light-relic finish, as find that from the pics the wear looks very authentic.

2 hours ago, wrinkleygit said:

You can find them here 

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/

Never owned a Limelight but I have bought and sold with Mark previously, good guy to deal with.

Same here, never played a Limelight, but have dealt with Mark many times. He's very fair and honest.

The only criticism I've ever seen of Limelight is that on some of the more extreme relics thr bridges can be tricky to adjust, but that's a very, very minor quibble and one that may well have been solved over the years.

I've owned a Limelight, a Nash, and a Fender, all Ps, all at the same time, and there's not a lot between them really. I moved the Limelight on, mainly because it had a Jazz neck, which I didn't get along with, and kept the other two. The aged hardware on the Limelight, particularly the bridge, was just plain rusty, and was difficult to adjust, although I believe this has been rectified on more recent builds, and you can specify new hardware if you want. Also, the loom on mine was very untidy, although it functioned as it should. The Nash is on another level on details like that, but is more expensive. The good thing about the Limelight is that Mark will build you what you want, and you can talk directly to him. A custom build from Nash would take a long time to materialise, although Bass Direct have a few in stock at the moment.  

YMMV.

• Thanks 1

I had a Limelight bass made a few years ago and the experience was mixed. Dealing with Mark was very easy with good communications. However from the deposit to delivery, it took just under a year to make which is a lot longer than the 12 - 16 weeks I was told. Some of this was partly down to the wrong neck being ordered for it so I had to wait for the correct neck to be ordered and fitted. When the bass did arrive the case was ripped which I informed Mark about and he refunded me £15. More worryingly, the bass was cutting in and out, the volume and tone pots were crackling and there was a huge hum when no part of the bass was being touched. I informed Mark who suggested I take it to a luthier and he will pay for the repair. I did this and it turned out the bass was not earthed correctly. So after waiting 10 months, it went straight in to the luthier which was disappointing. I then got it back a few weeks later and it was ok but similar issues started to happen so back to the luthier and we fitted new pots and jack socket which completely fixed the issue. Once getting it back, it was fine for a little while but then the neck started to play up and I couldn't adjust the action any more so back to the luthier again and he managed to sort it. We also found there was no adjustability under the pickups so this was rectified as well so pickup height could be adjusted.

After all that work, the bass then played beautifully ever since but after paying just under £1200 for the bass, having to wait nearly a year for it to then turn up not working with a damaged case and then 3 trips to the luthier to make it right, I'd lost the love of the bass and sold it. I did manage a few gigs with it and it played lovely but in my head I was done. The new owner as far as I know is also very happy with the bass. I know a lot of people have bought Limelight basses and they have been absolutely fine with no issues whatsoever so I do put myself down to being unlucky in this instance or I'd just bought a lemon. Disappointing but these things happen from time to time so don't let my experience put you off buying one and as I say, Mark was fine to deal with.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I can only echo what has already been said about dealing with Mark. He's a top bloke.

I've had three Limelights in recent years. Two were OK - like typical parts (bitsa/partcaster) basses. One, however, was a whole lot better and had real mojo and played very nicely. So, somewhat varied edperience.

Never played a Nash, but they seem to be pricey by comparison.

IMO, the hands down best bass in this market sector is a Bravewood, if you can locate one. Fantastic instruments.

25 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

IMO, the hands down best bass in this market sector is a Bravewood, if you can locate one. Fantastic instruments.

The may well be lovely basses (haven't played on yet) but do they still use captive gerbils to nibble at the edge of the bodies? That always put me off a bit.

• Haha 1

What’s the origin of Limelight basses? I presume they’re not scratch built and are made from readily available parts. Are the bodies and necks genuine Fender parts either new or reused or perhaps Fender licensed parts from other manufacturers?

Edited by Velarian

Just now, Velarian said:

What’s the origin of Limelight basses? I presume they’re not scratch built and are made from readily available parts. Are the bodies and necks genuine Fender parts either new or reused or perhaps Fender licensed parts from other manufacturers?

I believe the necks are Allparts, and the bodies and pickups are their own.

• Thanks 1

@nash I'll be driving past you in late June for a gig in Hereford with two Limelight Ps in the van, if you are still pondering on it then I'd be happy to drop in so you can have a play (through your old Super Bassman even) 😄

Edited by knicknack

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

The may well be lovely basses (haven't played on yet) but do they still use captive gerbils to nibble at the edge of the bodies? That always put me off a bit.

Like you, I've never been a fan of overdone relicing .......and, yes, I find some are just way over the top. The Bravewood that I have has lovely crazed nitro lacquer but no bare bodywork or big dings in the body. 

4 hours ago, knicknack said:

@nash I'll be driving past you in late June for a gig in Hereford with two Limelight Ps in the van, if you are still pondering on it then I'd be happy to drop in so you can have a play (through your old Super Bassman even) 😄

I was trying to remember who I sold the SB to! I’ve just done 4 massive shows using a full Ampeg rig and forgot how good a big rig is. I want it back 😂. That would be class to have a go. 

23 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

mine looks alright - mind you I had a rusted bridge I ended up replacing with a gotoh 

08915134-1897-4BC0-93E1-4D39FEDEB27E.thumb.jpeg.d5ac8b3a8397942481b6208ca18b28ae.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Show off! 
😛 

It's quite something, isn't it? I've never seen wiring done in such a way. When he sent me those pictures I remember thinking 'that's what you call attention to detail'.

I would suggest a 'who's got the cleanest cavity' thread but I can foresee issues! 🙂

• Haha 2