Why become a member? ×

Primus play Rush A farewell to Kings ,Uk dates

bnt

On 23/03/2022 at 12:51, SteveXFR said:

I love Rush but just can't be dealing with Claypool's bass and vocals. Will he turn the Rush songs in to his usual slapfest?

Was just thinking that, i can imagining all Geddy's basslines been slaughtered by that clown Claypool

On 23/03/2022 at 18:54, Misdee said:

I saw Primus opening for Rush about thirty years ago. I suppose doing a Rush tribute show is a new way for them to parade their offbeat approach to life, for better or worse.

Me too, Roll the bones tour.

fwiw, Les hasn’t been obsessively slapping for about 30 years now.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Bloody hell. :o

OK, I can't be the only one to have been bitterly disappointed to find Lotus Land are based in the US (thus shafting my chances of seeing them). 

Yep it's a sickener. That was 10 years or so ago, and looking at their YT channel there's nothing recent, they may have called it a day.

• 1 month later...
On 23/03/2022 at 13:51, wateroftyne said:

It's well played, but... jeez. Those vocals.

A mate of mine mentioned Primus yesterday (and did I know about the Farewell To Kings gig).  I know you posted this a couple of months ago, but my comment to him generally about Primus was that the component parts have pretty much everything I should adore, but I find the vocals very hard going.  Sure I can live with stuff like My Name Is Mud, Winona or Too Many Puppies, but too much Primus makes my chest hurt.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That was just awful...mostly because what Rush never needed was a second bassist and a second drummer onstage, especially the drummer(s), who sound like they're in a mediocre tribute band...oh, hang on...that's it, tho, isn't it?

20 hours ago, Muzz said:

That was just awful...mostly because what Rush never needed was a second bassist and a second drummer onstage, especially the drummer(s), who sound like they're in a mediocre tribute band...oh, hang on...that's it, tho, isn't it?

Sounds like the whole vibe of that sailed by which is fine 

.Two completely different bands who are close friends who knocked something up and its a South Park show so the Music Police need to go and mow the lawn really 

I bet Geddy loved a night off on stage with his bass and mates 

I love both bands and was looking forward to the uk Primus shows as just a one off mad experience 

i must have missed the 30 years of Primus rush covers 

20 hours ago, Muzz said:

That was just awful...mostly because what Rush never needed was a second bassist and a second drummer onstage,

It was awful because geddy can't sing those songs any more, and hasn't been able to for a while. And I say that with Rush being my favourite group, but why I haven't gone and seen them in the last 10 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

It was awful because geddy can't sing those songs any more, and hasn't been able to for a while. And I say that with Rush being my favourite group, but why I haven't gone and seen them in the last 10 years.

I dunno why he doesn’t just drop his voice an octave for the old ones, instead of tuning down a step and really struggling.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 19:14, Muzz said:

Geddy Lee was quoted as saying Rush sounded like a Rush tribute band in the early days of rehearsal for any tour...

I really enjoyed that whole concert, it was a glorious joyous shambolic mess, just like South Park, and I loved every minute of it.

• Like 2

Apropos absolutely nothing, and in a Primus thread too, this video of Neil Peart playing after going through a tom head and having his tech swap it out is just brilliant, I used to go to a couple of shows on any Rush tour, once just to watch Peart work, what an irreplaceable force he is. 

There's a moment after the tom is replaced at about 4:35 where he hits a big fill and we get a little smile from him as if to say "that would have been a sod to cover up"...

• Like 2

What I admire most about Rush, far more than their music, is their unerring self-confidence and the strength of their convictions. 

What I mean is that, in a world where musicians are almost bullied into accepting fashionable orthodoxies such as "less is more" and "play to serve the song, not your own ego", these guys just go for it and do exactly whatever they feel like, regardless of any idiotic advice to the contrary. More is more and more is better because it gives you the opportunity to do more things.

Primus are kindred spirits in that respect. (I can't imagine Les Claypool switching to a P Bass with flats and lecturing folks on the virtues of restraint and minimalism). Both bands have a neurotic intensity to them, albeit that Primus are a bit (a lot) more wacky (irritating). So to me Primus doing Rush is a good fit as  a tribute. It's just that I can't enjoy Les Claypool's singing in his own music, let alone murdering Rush's back catalogue!