Why become a member? ×

Basses across the ages…

NicoMcJ

Let’s say you were making an imaginary (or real) collection to represent the decades of the evolution of the instrument, what would you go for?

I think mine would look something like:

50s - Fender Precision

60s - Fender Jazz

70s - Rickenbacker 4003

80s - Charvel or Jackson

90s - Warwick Something

00s - Ibanez SR

10s - Dingwall

20s - ???

1 hour ago, NicoMcJ said:

Let’s say you were making an imaginary (or real) collection to represent the decades of the evolution of the instrument, what would you go for?

I think mine would look something like:

50s - Fender Precision

60s - Fender Jazz

70s - Rickenbacker 4003

80s - Charvel or Jackson

90s - Warwick Something

00s - Ibanez SR

10s - Dingwall

20s - ???

You might have to modify your own running order - the Rick 4003 dates from 1981, its predecessor the 4001 was first available in 1961, and the original single-pickup 4000 appeared in 1957.

The first Ibby SRs appeared in 1987.

Since I can't really comment on that which went before I started playing and, therefore, can't definitively prove basses actually existed in the olde times, I can only offer my own perspective

80's - Aria Pro II

90's - ESP

00's - Ibanez

10's - Alembic

20's - Levinson Blade

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

You might have to modify your own running order - the Rick 4003 dates from 1981, its predecessor the 4001 was first available in 1961, and the original single-pickup 4000 appeared in 1957.

The first Ibby SRs appeared in 1987.

Wikipedia is never, ever wrong and it says the 4003 first appeared in 79? Still tenuous I guess, the 4002 is probably the better bet.

The SR did indeed debut earlier but it wasn’t until the Nu-Metal thing at the turn of the century that I remember seeing them EVERYWHERE.

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Gibson Thunderbird for the 60's

Ibanez EHB for the 2020's

Piece of wire on a radioactive Nissan Juke door for the 2030's or "the fallout years" as that decade will become known.

Good shout on the EHB

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Am I the only one thinking that the remarkable thing about the electric bass is that it hasn't evolved? Leo did a good job and Fender style basses are still the dominant species.

It's definitely evolved but the original is still there as well. You can still buy a classic P bass or you can buy an active 6 string with triple humbuckers and adjustable bridge spacing.

If Leo Fender got it perfect first time then we wouldn't have the Jazz or Stingray 

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Am I the only one thinking that the remarkable thing about the electric bass is that it hasn't evolved? Leo did a good job and Fender style basses are still the dominant species.

there's very little around that doesn't reference the blueprints laid out by Leo Fender or Ned Steinburger 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

It's definitely evolved but the original is still there as well. You can still buy a classic P bass or you can buy an active 6 string with triple humbuckers and adjustable bridge spacing.

If Leo Fender got it perfect first time then we wouldn't have the Jazz or Stingray 

Or the second version of the P-Bass with the split humbucker for that matter.

Or anything from G&L...

• Like 2