Why become a member? ×

New Cort basses

BassApprentice

On 21/03/2022 at 14:03, velvetkevorkian said:

I'm sure they're lovely, but the Jazz scratchplate with no control plate just looks all kinds of wrong to me.

To be fair it would probably look weirder if they’d tried to keep the metal control plate and extended it to accommodate 5 (or 6 including output jack) holes.

But I do think the scratchplate is a slightly odd shape on the NJS basses. They sound good though!

18 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Not overly so, just actually play it would be excellent 😅

All of my reviews go through each pickup and a variety of tone control options as standard, so, yes, definitely making sure the basses get heard properly! :) 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dood said:

All of my reviews go through each pickup and a variety of tone control options as standard, so, yes, definitely making sure the basses get heard properly! :) 👍

Personally, i watch your reviews with both the sound, and my pants, off.

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Dood said:

45 minutes ago, Machines said:

Personally, i watch your reviews with both the sound, and my pants, off.

My work here is done! :)

* I was going to embed an gif, but I seem to have failed miserably!

• Haha 3

Generally look a huge amount of bass for the money. Would’ve left the pick guard off though, instead as an option for the buyer to put on or not depending on personal taste. Not a fan of Luminlay’s either.

You would have to buy with the full intention of it being a ‘keeper’ too - depreciation on these will be steep, probably unfairly so. 

1 hour ago, Wilco said:

Generally look a huge amount of bass for the money. Would’ve left the pick guard off though, instead as an option for the buyer to put on or not depending on personal taste. Not a fan of Luminlay’s either.

You would have to buy with the full intention of it being a ‘keeper’ too - depreciation on these will be steep, probably unfairly so. 

I've seen some top of the range fairly new £1k Corts struggle to sell for £500.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 21/03/2022 at 12:58, Rayman said:

I always wonder with brands perceived previously as "budget", if people will pay money like that for their top end instruments. I wonder if snobbery creeps in when you're going to spend over a grand, and having the name "Cort" or "Sire" on the headstock, instead of "Mayones" or "Sadowsky" puts people off?

Having heard the Sire V9s/V10s for example, and thinking how incredible they sound, I wonder if some folks looking for a super jazz would fork out for one at that price knowing that the brand is regarded (wrongly) as a budget one? 

Cort are known for extremely high value for the money.

Even their cheapest budget basses are genuinely great, so this ought to be awesome.

Also I figure if Cort is good enough for a legend like Jeff Berlin, who got some seriously impressive bass chops, and who had Cort make his signature bass, which he actually do use as his main bass, then it ought to be good enough for your average gear snob hack of a bass player as well. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Anyone else managed to try or buy the NJS? Just watched the Bass The World video and am still very interested....

I've video reviewed a "real" Elrick NJS 5 and am going to see if I can get the Cort version in for a spin to see how it compares. The videos seem a little thin on the ground out there at the moment, but my initial thoughts are that it could be quite a nice bass. The Cort Modern 4 and Cort A5 Ultra are super nice basses, so the NJS should be too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

That's a point, @Doodif you're reviewing a bass that comes in 4 and 5 string and they are only going to send one of them - which do you pick? 

I always try to pick the 5 if I have only one option, but on occasion, I’ve only been able to get the 4 string version due to availability. In a perfect world I’d have both over.

• Like 1

My Elrick Evo5, which I bought off @Sibobof this parish 18 months back, has been quite a revelation for me: it's pretty much blown away several other basses I never thought I would move on and has become my first choice gigging bass. So a "budget" Cort Elrick has definitely got my interest and @haimesyexperience with his, suggests it could be quite a treat. If one comes up used (in white, please, haha) I'll be at the head of the queue! 

Just also seen the Basstheworld review of the Cort A5 Ultra Ash with Fishman Fluence pups - damn that's a tasty neck-through! Cort seem to be seriously upping their game and parking their tanks squarely on the lawns of the likes of Ibanez and, dare I say, Yamaha?

Edited by Al Krow