Why become a member? ×

New Cort basses

BassApprentice

Just spotted this on Facebook so had a better look.

The GB moderns look fantastic and the Elricks don't look too shabby either.

Loaded with ultralites, Nordstrands, Markbass and Babicz, will probably cost about £1700. Will be interesting to see how they stack up against other basses in this price range.

GBModern5OPCGfull.png

Screenshot_20220321-092339.png

Screenshot_20220321-092322.png

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Like 3

I always wonder with brands perceived previously as "budget", if people will pay money like that for their top end instruments. I wonder if snobbery creeps in when you're going to spend over a grand, and having the name "Cort" or "Sire" on the headstock, instead of "Mayones" or "Sadowsky" puts people off?

Having heard the Sire V9s/V10s for example, and thinking how incredible they sound, I wonder if some folks looking for a super jazz would fork out for one at that price knowing that the brand is regarded (wrongly) as a budget one? 

Nice to see them collaborating with Elrick again. Earlier, they did a Josh Paul signature model (JP5, later named RB5) which was also a licensed Elrick copy. 

CortElrick1.jpg.7a8cc069f2e3681e21322df9737f9e3d.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the new GB shape, I liked the previous model better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Nice to see them collaborating with Elrick again. Earlier, they did a Josh Paul signature model (JP5, later named RB5) which was also a licensed Elrick copy. 

CortElrick1.jpg.7a8cc069f2e3681e21322df9737f9e3d.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the new GB shape, I liked the previous model better. 

I guess the budget didn’t cover the headstock design? (it's not that bad really I suppose)

Edited by krispn

3 hours ago, Rayman said:

Having heard the Sire V9s/V10s for example, and thinking how incredible they sound, I wonder if some folks looking for a super jazz would fork out for one at that price knowing that the brand is regarded (wrongly) as a budget one? 

I chose to buy a Sire V9 instead of any other jazz bass this month. I could have had a US Fender jazz, I love the dark night colour, but just couldn't do it. The Sire offers so much more and I less than 1/3 of the cost.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rayman said:

I always wonder with brands perceived previously as "budget", if people will pay money like that for their top end instruments. I wonder if snobbery creeps in when you're going to spend over a grand, and having the name "Cort" or "Sire" on the headstock, instead of "Mayones" or "Sadowsky" puts people off?

For me - it's knowing that even if I can get past the brand name, most won't. And as someone who generally owns basses in a transient fashion, I would know i'd take a big hit when selling if I bought one new. As such, even though these instruments are well above their price tag in comparison to 'big brands', I wouldn't take the risk.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

That video is....not great.

Very generic and doesn't exactly sell the bass

Yarp, but you do get to see them in a bit more detail and they look lovely. Shame the rest of the video is useless. 

Interesting on the Elrick front, I think I remember speaking to Rob about something happening with the 'Expat' range, wonder if this was it. That said, the Czech made NJS's are still handmade, but I wonder if these Cort ones will eventually supersede them.

Spec wise, they look to be largely the same as the Czech built NJS's, but different bridge and no US Bart pickups, I'll wager that the Hipshots are licensed too, minor step down from the US Hipshots on the Czech NJS's.

Nothing wrong with any of that at all, but as someone mentioned above, with the current NJS's fetching around $3k, I'd expect the Cort ones to sit around £1200-£1500 maybe?

I bet they're fantastic basses in any case, got a lot of time for Cort built stuff!

Si

Edited by Sibob