Why become a member? ×

The count in

Nail Soup

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I honestly wouldn't have believed it possible to make a 14-minute video on how to count in a song.

Now that I've watched (the first two minutes of) it, it's pretty clear that I would have been right. 

Thanks for saving me from clicking on it.

My drummer cocked up the count off one too many times, too badly by far. A slow ballad came over as The Chipmunks version.

He got a tablet with all the tempos loaded onto the setlist. Problem solved, but he still sometimes starts off 1, 2 and races 3 and 4.

16 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I honestly wouldn't have believed it possible to make a 14-minute video on how to count in a song.

Yes, he could have said it all ina couple of mins.... but Kudos to him, he managed to stretch it to over 13 mins 😉.

It's ironic really........  we say that attention spans have reduced in the internet age, yet YT vids seem to thrive on this kind of bloated presentation.

I did the live sound for a celtic rock band in the early 80s in the Bristol area.

In a thick Bristolian accent, the mandalin player would (shout) count them in "1,2,3,...1,2,3" ..for a 4/4 piece. 

I expect it was more for show as they all came in right and stayed tight. But it was funny.

• Like 1

Our drummer seems to think he HAS to count every song in. Unfortunately he doesn't often get the tempo right. One song we do, he hammers out a 1,2,3,4 at the start, first verse fast, then chorus slows down and then that's the tempo from then on. He has no idea he does it. I have the delight of bringing up that at the next band camp! (And much more too!!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Dee Dee used to count the Ramones in....... and he's the bass player.

You’re right! They all come in at the right speed, which is frequently different from that of the count. Now that’s hard!

• Haha 1

Never let your singer count you in.  

Interestingly, never let the singer decide when a song should end, either.  We'd delight, while the singer held an arm up like Elvis, in deciding when to stop during a long ending.  Sometimes we'd just stop, other times he'd throw his fist to the floor and we'd be letting the ending carry on.

Oh, the hilarity.

• Haha 2

However it's done I wouldn't mind a voval count in sometimes.

One of the trickier things I find with Reggae is the count in (well, not vocalised - but the drum roll count in). 

A couple of examples: 

I've learnt it off by heart but I can't figure out the timing. Cymbol - Rest - Kick - Snare - Bass (leading note) - Bassline starting on the on the 1?

Or: 

4 beat drum roll, then 1 beat cymbol/rest with bassline starting on the 2nd beat? Again, I'm not really sure but have just memorised how it sounds.

• Like 1