Why become a member? ×

4u Rack case and bits to go in it

BigJHW

Hey guys n gals,

1st off sorry if this isn't quite the right forum but i think it's the best place.

So i've always been one of them bass players that just shows up to the gig with the cab and head - smacks the head on top of the cab and off we go.. simple effective etc.. but

i've just upgraded my bass head to a nice new Eich T900 and although i have the "gig bag" it comes with it doesn't feel very protected and i feel regular gigging is going to get them buttons mashed at some point.

So i've started looking in to the idea of rack mounting it
Rack mount ears are cheap enough

4u case is cheap enough

but of course looking in to these things you start to look at other gear...
Korg Pitchblack rack mount tuner

Furman power conditioner  (cause UK pubs and venues seem to have shoddy electronics i think this is a must have now i have a nice bass head)

So this leaves a 1u hole in the 4u rack

i figure i have 2 options at this point

#1 - buy a 3u rack instead (save weight and space)

or

#2 - fill that hole with something else

I got to thinking about rack mounted fans - but i'm not 100% sure #1 if they're needed or #2 if 1u is enough or what to get if i do

So i come to the wealth of knowledge that is BASSCHAT and hope you guys n gals can shed some light on it for me.

Do i need fans in the case

is 1u enough space?

or what other hocuspocus could i put in that 1u space?

thanks in advance

Big J

Ooooo or - how do you package up your gear so it doesn't get damaged in transit?
any cases you can recommend that'd hold the T900, cables, tuner etc (i don't do pedals so that's not an issue for me)

Thanks again 

5 hours ago, BigJHW said:

haha i considered that - but lets face it UK pubs and clubs "stage" area's are so small a 1m cable is still probably too long in most cases lol

I always use a wireless whatever sized stage I happen to be on.

Not only does it remove tripping hazards, but I am also isolated from the mains. Less of a problem than it used to be, but still.....

If you go down that route, either leave the space (for cable routing) or get a half space blank - for the same reason.

The bass plugs into the tuner and all the other connections are at the back. If you don't leave a space you'll have to run a cable around the outside of the rack, to access the amp.

20201229_113449.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

If you go down that route, either leave the space (for cable routing) or get a half space blank - for the same reason.

The bass plugs into the tuner and all the other connections are at the back. If you don't leave a space you'll have to run a cable around the outside of the rack, to access the amp.

Rack amps should have inputs on the back. It's fine on normal amps but on racks they need to have an extra on the back. If Peavey can get this right why can't others?

My last wireless was only half width, so that left space if I needed it. Not that I needed it, because the helix (which was designed to go in a rack!) had an input on the back.

IMG_20190802_201813.thumb.jpg.e86b2ff5140e7663280db6b67271faef.jpg

• Like 2

If you can find one, the Funk Logic DD-301 Digilog Dynamicator is the ideal 1U space filler. The ultimate in audio DFA technology...

Yes, it's basically a blank panel with some knobs and a fake VU meter on it. :lol: They're a bit hard to come by these days, mine is pretty much the only one I've ever seen.

I even wrote a BC review of it about a hundred years ago.

image.thumb.png.14ffd726f445e3af9a7b5c22c68c414d.png

Edited by Rich
  • Haha 2

I don't bother with a power conditioner. The UK mains supply is relatively clean in noise terms, unlike the US, and a decent quality amp such as Eich will have filtering built in to it's internal supply.  Use an extension lead with a surge protector and save another space in your rack.

• Like 1

I agree with Pete. In 36 years of UK gigging I have never once had a problem with dirty power. For mains distribution I've fitted one of these in the back of my rack -- surge protected, does the job very nicely and keeps everything neat. I'm a bit anal when it comes to neat wiring :) 

image.png.67c0a03bdea5888e094bc5d76d89a89c.png

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

I agree with Pete. In 36 years of UK gigging I have never once had a problem with dirty power. For mains distribution I've fitted one of these in the back of my rack -- surge protected, does the job very nicely and keeps everything neat. I'm a bit anal when it comes to neat wiring :) 

Well I have certainly had the occasional issue (mainly with outdoor gigs using a generator, but also the odd dodgy pub with dubious wiring), so I have a Samson power conditioner in my rack for my Mesa Boogie. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BigJHW said:

haha i considered that - but lets face it UK pubs and clubs "stage" area's are so small a 1m cable is still probably too long in most cases lol

Wireless is more about not tripping or tangling a cable than it is about that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rich said:

One of those is in the back of my rack, to power external stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 07:37, BigJHW said:

I use wireless not because of the distance but mostly to keep myself away from some of the horrible electrics in venues!