Why become a member? ×

Strings for my Kolstein Busetto

Happy Jack

Looking to replce the strings on the bass I bought last year from @bassace ... they're a bit dead even for my tastes. 😂

The bass has a mag pickup on the end of the fingerboard, and I'm looking at https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/evah-pirazzi-slap-double-bass-strings-set

I appreciate that the option to buy gut D & G is not available to me, but would the chrome-wound set be OK with the pickup?

Based on what I have read on other fora, I believe there is not enough metal mass on EPs to work with a mag pickup. Sorry Jack. Maybe try a low tension set of steels such as Jargar Dolce/Solo 3/4 (Stray Cats dude Lee Rocker uses these on his Kolstein Busetto) or Spirocore Solo.

Or alternatively, ditch the mag pickup and use a piezo p/u so you can choose whatever strings you fancy.

Lee Rocker reference:https://www.talkbass.com/threads/jargar-dolce.622445/ 

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

A rather tatty-looking set with light purple silks at both ends. 🤔

If it was light purple at peg end and red at tailpiece end that would be Spirocore Weichs. But I don't recognise light purple at both ends and that doesn't seem to appear in Gollihur's string identifier. Maybe ask @bassace what they are if you want to simply replace?

https://gollihurmusic.com/string-identification-chart/

Edited by Clarky

When I owned a Busetto (bought from Keith aka Mr Bassman) I regularly swapped between Heritage and Jargar Dolce strings (Keith had Jargars on the bass). Heritage are low in metal content and a decent hybrid string, while Jargars are steels but have in built dampening so they are thuddy and dark,about as gutty as steels can get. I also used Spiro Solos which are low tension but have that more steely, growly Spirocore sound. All 3 worked and it depends on how you really want to use the bass. For slapping, maybe the Jargar Dolces (like Lee Rocker). For more bluegrassy/blues work maybe Spiro Solos? Maybe worth chatting to  @bassace or @Mr Bassman

Edited by Clarky
  • Thanks 1

The vast majority of use for this bass will always be rock'n'roll & rockabilly, but the vast majority of my 'slapping' is in fact fake.

I do lots of single-slap with exaggerated hand movements to make it look like I'm doing something special, but what the audience is hearing (for percussion) is of course the drumkit. No real bass player is ever going to be fooled by my playing for a second. Additionally, the Schaller pickup takes the sound of my Kolstein well over into Precision territory so no rockabilly purist will ever compliment me on my tone. 

All of which said, I play a LOT of gigs these days and I like strings that help me to get through two (or even three) 3-set gigs on a weekend. I'm after strings that are kind to my plucking/slapping hand and work with the style of music ... which is primitive, but in a good way. And I'm genuinely impressed at how cheap the Jargars are!

Being a life long Spiro Mitt player on double bass, the Kolstein Heritage strings on the Busetto I sold to Jack were so different in terms of tension and playability that I just got on and played them. They seemed fine to me but I never looked around for anything different/better.

Jack’s Busetto is the same owned by Keith/ Clarky/me so it’s been in good hands - says he, modestly.

Edited by bassace
  • Like 1

Not familiar with those, Dave. Right now I'm waiting for some of them there Jargars to arrive (£115 a set!) and filling in the time by experimenting with the original fitment Daddario Helicore Hybrids from Silvie's Eminence.

She didn't get on with them at all so they've only had a few days' worth of playing-in time before she replaced them with Innovation Silver Slaps.

Next gig with the Kolstein is on Friday ...