Why become a member? ×

Being in a band with someone from a well known...

NancyJohnson

I'm not going to go into specifics, but last weekend I was asked whether I'd like to take up bass duties in a band fronted by someone from a band I adored in the 80s/90s.  I saw them maybe a dozen times...Hammersmith Odeon was probably the biggest place, but they played bigger.  They were on TV a lot, loads of albums/singles.  I'm a little conflicted here, on the one side there's the positives (playing, creating etc.), on the negative it's two hours each way to the studio (other side of London from me), I'm not entirely sure what the timetable is (gigging/recording), so I need to firm this stuff up.  I'm not even sure I want to do another band.

• Like 3

I had a similar quandary recently, but the commute would have been Newcastle > Liverpool.

I really had to think long and hard and eventually decided not to... in my heart I knew it wasn't practical, and I didn't want to be in a position where I'd have to leave them in the lurch.

It went against all my instincts, but it was the fairest decision for them.

(Note: if there had been a big tour or something at the end of it, the outcome might have been different, but it was all a bit tentative.)

YMMV etc.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

I suppose one could assess the opportunity as if this were a 'normal' band that's based at some distance from home:

* What's the money? How many gigs are lined up?
* Will it get in the way of my day job and would I be away from home at times?

* How much say would I get or will I just be playing someone else's lines?

* Are they nice people or deluded monsters?

In this specific circumstance one might add:

* Do I trust the band management?

* Salary or split of income? Do I get to submit my own songs and what's the deal on publishing?

* Can I bill travel expenses to and from rehearsals? Time's one thing, cost is another

* Will I find myself in a Pete Best situation where hard-core fans compete to throw abuse at the newbie?

* Can I bill hookers to the touring expenses ledger?

• Haha 2

I was asked a long time ago to join a well known charts band from the 60's who were still touring regularly (I was recommended by a guy I played in a band with previously as they wanted a bass player who could also play guitar and ideally some sax).  I won't mention names, but it was one of those famous bands that didn't have any original members in it, but were made up of people who played in other famous bands around the same era and still played the nostalgia circuit. 

I would've been the youngest member by 30-odd years and I also would look shockingly bad in a hussars jacket (their stage uniform). Their itinerary was also akin to what I'd imagine a long distance lorry driver's would have looked like and they basically played every holiday park in the UK. Even then, it would have likely been quite a significant cut in pay for me too, together with all the uncertainty that goes with it. 

I politely declined and they had the decency to ask me a few more times before finding someone better and more committed. Still, it was nice to have been asked 😊

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 3

If it was me.....

If the answer was yes to the following:

Do I like the music

Does it pay money

Am I available 

Then I'd be all over it.

If no to any one of those points, then not on your nellie captain.

• Like 2

If I read it right this guy has been writing and wants someone to play the bass for a new studio album. There's any number of ways that could pan out.

Only one way that works in your favour is if you are getting paid enough for the studio work that it is worth your while. If you count the working for hero factor as pay then the maths changes.

I am pretty sure you don't need the old singer songwriter scams musos into writing and playing all the parts before touring the album with pickup band routine explained.

• Like 1

I think @skankdelvarraised all the salient points (with the exception of the prostitutes).

I've been playing long enough and am old enough in the tooth to see this is not going to be a get rich quick/cash cow thing; it shouldn't impact on my day job and I don't see touring on the horizon.  I could see them playing second or third on the bill at Rebellion.  If I lived in East Landaan, I'd feel more excited about it.

The main thing here is the travelling, expense thereof and the loss of my recovery time (weekends).  I can record from home.  I'm already shattered most of the time and this will just contribute to that.

As things stand, I'm just waiting for the phone to ring, so to speak.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think @skankdelvarraised all the salient points (with the exception of the prostitutes).

I've been playing long enough and am old enough in the tooth to see this is not going to be a get rich quick/cash cow thing; it shouldn't impact on my day job and I don't see touring on the horizon.  I could see them playing second or third on the bill at Rebellion.  If I lived in East Landaan, I'd feel more excited about it.

The main thing here is the travelling, expense thereof and the loss of my recovery time (weekends).  I can record from home.  I'm already shattered most of the time and this will just contribute to that.

As things stand, I'm just waiting for the phone to ring, so to speak.

Personally, if it is at all viable financially, then I would just go for it. 

Life's too short not to take advantage of opportunities like this if you're lucky enough for them to come up! 

23 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

The mention of them being a Rebellion type band makes me even more eager to find out who it is.

Me too!

What do we have so far?
Rebellion - must have a punk edge to them.
Big in the 80's and 90's.
Likely a London band.

Hmmm...

Edited by Marky L

4 hours ago, Marky L said:

Me too!

What do we have so far?
Rebellion - must have a punk edge to them.
Big in the 80's and 90's.
Likely a London band.

Hmmm...

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I love sitting here reading this.  Can't say yet.

Looking at the 2022 Rebellion line up, there may not be any traditional punkyness, and people from a band big in the 80's and early 90's may be living in that London now, so not necessarily a London band.

Bearing in mind the size of venues, I'm gonna plump for Billy Duffy (coz Ian Astbury lives in LA).