Why become a member? ×

Problem with Blend control on Jazz bass.

squire5

I have wired up a jazz bass control plate with a 250K blend pot.My problem is that it only works in 1 direction.By that I mean,if I pan from bridge pup to neck pup,the signal disappears from the centre detent onwards,ie the neck pup is not sounding.If I reverse the wiring,the opposite happens.Is that the right blend pot I've got,as I've stripped and rewired the whole thing twice,but its still doing it? Any pointers guys? I'm following this diagram.

JazzBasswithBlendPotMod (1).gif

Thats the same pic I posted Ki0gon and from the same website.I stripped it down and started again from scratch.Now,both pups are on until the centre detent,and then both abruptly switch off.I'm going to leave it till tomorrow until my heads cleared a bit.Thanx for your input.

34 minutes ago, squire5 said:

Thats the same pic I posted Ki0gon and from the same website.I stripped it down and started again from scratch.Now,both pups are on until the centre detent,and then both abruptly switch off.I'm going to leave it till tomorrow until my heads cleared a bit.Thanx for your input.

Sorry I didn't check the link before posting - my bad - that was not what I meant to post, apologies.

I'll try.in fact I've already took a pic but because if the reflections on the s/plate,it looks even more confusing.Each wire has a reflected image.I'll try and remove the s/plate and take another.Bear with me.I'm not the best solderer in the world BTW.Bear that in mind😄

Generally odd. Yes, the upside down position of the plate, the balance before the volume (I guess that is a choice - I would expect it like KiOgons picture), the fact the tone control isn't actually wired to the circuit, but jus relies on the fact you are putting it on a metal plate, ok, it probably works (until you change the plate to plastic) but seems very bad form. I would certainly want a wire there.

On to your diagram, as you say it is hard to see because the wires are always in the way in photos, but from your description it sounds like one side is either shorted or backwards.

Do you have a meter to check that nothing is shorted out, and that the pickup inputs are only shorted to ground at full travel?

Just for clarity, on that dual pot at the top you have the volume pot at the top, one of the inputs (cant see what) in the middle, and a wire that connects to the green wire at the bottom, and on the bottom row, you have that green earth wire at the top, the other input in the middle and and output to the volume at the bottom, is that correct?

Bigguy one thing I've noticed in comparing your pics to the first one I posted is this.The ground wire from the top of the VOL pot goes to the top of the blend pot on your pic,while on the first pic it goes to the bottom right lug on the blend pot.The bottom pic that you posted is like my layout with the Blend control at the top and looks a lot simpler.For a start the VOL control has only 1 wire connected to its l/h lug,whereas mine has 3 wires connected to that lug.Gonna give that a go I think.Cheers.

5 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

I suggest; remove the green wire earth connection from the top lug of the blend pot to the body of volume pot and try it.

Cheerz, John

Thanx John,I just noticed that very thing as I posted on Bigguys reply just now.I'll try that.Thanx.

Right guys I'll get back to you.John,detaching that wire made a difference,but now one pup is louder than the other,but the blend control seems better.I'm going to try Bigguys diagram tho,as it seems clearer.I'll also need to brush up on my soldering skills I fear.Watch this space,and thanx again.

I appear to have an intermittent faulty VOL pot,so theres no point in proceeding with this for the time being.I'm going to order new components and start again.I followed Bigguys diagram (the bottom one) to the letter and its still not right.Could someone just keep me right.250k and Linear or Taper pots.Which? Many thanx  for your input guys.