Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker fan? Want a 5 string but don't like the look of the latest 4003s5? FTFY :-)

pluckedout

Converted my 4003s5 into a 4000s5 (or probably a 4000/5 given the 4000 was always unbound?) and am very happy with the result. Still has the very effective and great sounding (but stupid looking) Dorito pickup but now looks a lot cooler. Also I like resting my hand on a pickup cover.

Just posting this in case anyone has been put off the new 5 string Rick because of the weird look.

20220319_105742.jpg

20220319_105701.jpg

• Like 6

There's a guy, Jeff something, also known as Ric5 on the Rickresource and Talkbass who's been doing these for years. I think I can vaguely remember something about the previous incarnation of 5 string Rick basses actually being 4 string basses with a 5th string added and modified pickups and bridge so what you've done is what Rickenbacker used to do, which I prefer the look of

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425-Ric.htm

they do look cool done like this

Edited by Delberthot

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

There's a guy, Jeff something, also known as Ric5 on the Rickresource and Talkbass who's been doing these for years. I think I can vaguely remember something about the previous incarnation of 5 string Rick basses actually being 4 string basses with a 5th string added and modified pickups and bridge so what you've done is what Rickenbacker used to do, which I prefer the look of

Thanks, I love what Ric5 does but mine is actually a 5 string neck so proper string spacing. This is a factory made Rick 5 string, just altered to look better 🙂

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

That guy made 5ers out 4 string basses, with incredibly narrow spacing and tuners which didn't clear each other on the ADG side. This is an actual 5 string Ric, one of the new ones with the triangular pickups, given a 4000 flavour aesthetic instead of the 4003 vibe they're made with.

• Like 1