Why become a member? ×

Moving back to "normal" strings after filing nut slots

Paolo85

Hi all. I have recently filed thr nut slots of my bass to fit some Rotosound 88 but I kind of regret it. They sound great but I have intonation problems and tension is higher than I had expected (btw, I strongly reccommend against if you don't have a string-thru)
Is it ok to just move back to normal gauge strings, or do I need to have the nut fixed? What sort of problems may come out that I have to watch out for?
Thanks

Edited by Paolo85

Thanks. Unfortunately it is U shaped, I assume V would have been better. The bass is a Cort B4fl. As for the budget, I try to spend as little as possible as long as I am not at risk of making any damage.

At some point I will bring it in, there are a few things I need to do and I may as well have the nut replaced if needed. But happy to play around for a period. Is the superglue and baking soda suggestion a thing, or was it ironic? :)

...sounds like gauged files would cost more than having the nut replaced. Question: I have an old set of .045-.105 strings.

What if I put them on, and try to put baking soda and superglue at both sides of each string to fill the gaps?

Would that make sense?

52 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

...sounds like gauged files would cost more than having the nut replaced. Question: I have an old set of .045-.105 strings.

What if I put them on, and try to put baking soda and superglue at both sides of each string to fill the gaps?

Would that make sense?

Wouldn't that glue the strings to the nut?

Also works with superglue/graphite powder, albeit slightly more slowly, if you need a dark grey finish.  I've repaired a few non-bass things with that including the snapped-off arm on a favourite pair of sun glasses.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

If I were you I'd first put on a new set of strings to see (hear) if there is anything to fix. 

Good point :D

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Wouldn't that glue the strings to the nut?

Also works with superglue/graphite powder, albeit slightly more slowly, if you need a dark grey finish.  I've repaired a few non-bass things with that including the snapped-off arm on a favourite pair of sun glasses.

I was assuming I could reap them off easily, but that was based on not very much so I guess that may not be a good idea!

2 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

If I were you I'd first put on a new set of strings to see (hear) if there is anything to fix. 

This - I have jumped between 50-105 and 45-100 and in between with rounds steels flats.... Most of the times the 0.005" variation doesn't amount to much... You may be lucky? long as the string sits in right, you've got a lot of room to adjust truss rod string height and others.

On 18/03/2022 at 08:08, Paulhauser said:

This!!! I have filed nut slots wider before and more often than not when I have gone back to lighter strings they have been fine