Why become a member? ×

Boss Katana for Bass

KellyS

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I am very excited for this. If it’s anywhere near as consistent as the guitar version, I’ll be getting it for sure. Especially as it now supports editing on a mobile device. 

https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-110_bass/

Has anyone had any experience of it yet?

• Like 1

With this and the new Postive Grid Spark Mini there's certainly some great practice amp options to be had. 

If the Katana has a pitch shifter, I'll be very, very interested. It'll save me having to set my helix up just practice a couple of tunes with dropped tuning.

If it has a completely flat "FRFR" mode, then even better.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

15 minutes ago, PsyBean said:

Very interesting, will have to try one out. Be interesting to find out the weights and I wonder if a Katana extension cab is in the pipeline?

The 110 is 16.8kg, the 210 is 21.8kg. I know weight and watts don't mean everything (and the Katana guitar amps seem pretty loud) but on paper that doesn't look great against a Markbass CMD 121P at only 12kg, which can chuck out some decent volume especially with an extension cab.  Still, be interesting to see how they perform in the real world and love the Katana trickery.

Whilst the demos sound great, I do think the low cost all-rounder (home and quick rehearsal) element has been lost a bit. I mean more so the low cost. 

I think my 100W guitar Katana cost about £220. That amp really can work in a lot of scenarios plus it's loud, cheap, light and small.

The 2x10 would probably be needed for a bass rehearsal and the price is quite high. 

• Like 2

The power ratings seem a bit weedy, even if it is 'Class A/B'. They're fairly heavy for what they are too. Would it not have been better for Boss to have released just a high powered head, only? They'd probably have made a killing doing that, as the heads look superb.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, 40hz said:

The power ratings seem a bit weedy, even if it is 'Class A/B'. They're fairly heavy for what they are too. Would it not have been better for Boss to have released just a high powered head, only? They'd probably have made a killing doing that, as the heads look superb.

The implication from the demo is that being Class A-B these are much more powerful than similar specced Class D... a potential minefield I know!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

The implication from the demo is that being Class A-B these are much more powerful than similar specced Class D... a potential minefield I know!

One heck of a minefield! 😂

I love my Katana 210 guitar amp, it's a great amp in it's own right even without all the effects and modelling shenanigans.

It just covers just about everything from crystal clear cleans to screaming distortion, and it does it in a very tonally pleasing way, it's got none of the harshness or lack of personality that people sometimes associate with non valve guitar amps. I'd say it's up there with the best guitar qmps I've owned or played through.

I've got a helix stomp which covers my effects requirements but I'd be very interested to try the bass amp to see how it measures up just as an amp

Edited by Cato

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I had a 150 watt Ashdown combo (not class D) which was sufficiently loud to play with a drummer. If I'd had another cabinet attached I'm sure it would have been even louder.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating.......if you know wot I mean.

Edited by gjones

7 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

With this and the new Postive Grid Spark Mini there's certainly some great practice amp options to be had. 

If the Katana has a pitch shifter, I'll be very, very interested. It'll save me having to set my helix up just practice a couple of tunes with dropped tuning.

If it has a completely flat "FRFR" mode, then even better.

apparently it has an octave, don't know about a pitch shifter. It has a flat mode for use with a pedal board or preamp.

Extension cab mutes the internal cab. A strange design decision.

Price is better than I’d expect.

Weight of the 210 is ok, but all going through that one handle? I’d prefer side handles too.

I’ll probably get one… really do like Roland / Boss for bass. My 400w 210 D’Bass was fantastic (why did I ever get rid??). If they did a 300w class AB head I’d have already placed an order!

I get the impression some of the big hitters are realising a pipeline of gear that was held back by covid. Exciting times for us gear geeks:) 

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, PsyBean said:

The 110 is 16.8kg, the 210 is 21.8kg. I know weight and watts don't mean everything (and the Katana guitar amps seem pretty loud) but on paper that doesn't look great against a Markbass CMD 121P at only 12kg, which can chuck out some decent volume especially with an extension cab.  Still, be interesting to see how they perform in the real world and love the Katana trickery.

And just a top handle too, it would seem. That's quite a lot of weight to carry in one hand.

5 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I think she was a bit misleading there. Markbass LMII is class A/B and that's no more loud or "hefty" than it's class D successor, 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I think she was a bit misleading there. Markbass LMII is class A/B and that's no more loud or "hefty" than it's class D successor, 

I refer thee to the Rt Hon Alex Claber - it would appear that it's the power supply that make the most difference.

Edited by Greg Edwards69