Why become a member? ×

Pain in the custom neck

fleabag

And so the good news...

@fleabag has the neck  :)

And...let's think, there must be some other good news...ah, yes!  With a judicious and expected scrape off of the extra finish thickness at the heel, the heel was a satisfyingly tight and accurate fit in the pocket.  :D

But it was a little high...   It turns out that  @Andyjr1515 's Fender-ish donor body with 'fender-size' neck pocket was deeper than @fleabag  's  'fender-ish' body neck pocket.  OK - when I say a little high...hmmm...at least 2.5mm high :shok:

Oh...mmmm....yes...the headstock finish which was, at last, glossy enough to call finished.  Well...who would have thought that bubble wrap would leave octopus marks even after a week of curing :facepalm:

Oh, yes..hmmm...and the other stuff  :$

But the good news, is that @fleabag has done a fantastic job of rectifying those issues :party:

Mind you...there's a bit of refinishing needed. 9_9

So the moral of this story is: the wise sages are quite correct in saying that you should never try to make a neck if you don't have the body physically on hand to fit it to.  And if you do, then make sure it's going to someone like @fleabag who has the skills and enthusiasm to put it right :D

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The neck was a beatiful tight fit in the pocket - tight is always a preferred fit.  Its all coming good. I'm nowhere as experienced as young Andrew, and with only a hand plane, i was very dubious that i could plane the heel level and square.  I would have loved to have a table planer  :)

Still, by only doing a shave , then check, a shave , then check,  ad inf.  i did get it square and level, minus the 5mm it needed. Plan B bewteen us was always an option, as Andy had no idea whether his ink dye could get the neck as black we wanted, so fair play.  The fretboard is lovely, despite Andy's first time working with such an unknown like Richlite,  which has it's quirks.  The fretting is bang on.

So with some minor tweaks, and spray, we'll be on top of the game.  A big thanks to young Andrew JR for the effort it took. 

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1