Why become a member? ×

Pain in the custom neck

fleabag

That looks as black as black can get,  so if you think you can coat the whole neck, despite some faint residue of the Fiebings, then quink away sir.   :)

That could be a service for you in the future.  " Necks quinked, enquire within "      Yah ?

• Haha 2

On 11/05/2022 at 11:10, Andyjr1515 said:

Instead, it was black and lacquery blobs gumming up the paper

That is a pain – maybe it's the maple – I had none of this when I sanded my swamp ash Stingray body 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

That is a pain – maybe it's the maple – I had none of this when I sanded my swamp ash Stingray body 🤔

Was that also done in with Fiebings?  I'd like it to work, but it was the extra coats that seemed to be the Achilles Heel.  The first coat soaked in nicely and seemed to dry just fine.  The second coat just sat on top and would mark your hands days later.

Anyway - interesting stuff coming up...

Well, there are two phrases that come to mind:

"Stick with what you know!"

But if you do that, you will never progress

and

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained!"

So I'm pleased I tried the Fiebings, and can see why folks would like it for certain jobs...but it's not quite the straightforward spirit stain that I thought it was.  There's another element in there and that, for this particular job (or yes maybe, @Fishman , the wood), is what gave me the issues.

This is after just the first coat of the Quink.  And I know that I can add as many more coats as I like - and it will fully dry.  And I know it will take varnish just as well as unstained wood.

0Fqypzil.jpg

Result!  :drinks:

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Daz39 said:

You just need to get the scientists to develop Quink in Vantablack. 'So black it hurts' - Imagine pointing that at your guitarist, that'll stop 'em winding up for another unnecessary solo.

None more black.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Too late now but what about india ink?

Yes - that is good too (probably technically better but the Quink, for black, is absolutely fine). 

When it comes to reds, though, I do tend to use calligraphy ink.  With the standard fountain pen inks, it depends on the maker, but the purples tend to be the least colour-fast.  The good thing is that there are fountain pen fanatics who do very comprehensive colour fastness tests of scores of available ink makes and colours.  If it fades on paper, it is likely to fade on timber.  The Quink range is actually very limited for colours - their black is good, but I use Diamine for the general colours, mainly because of the vast range of colours.  Because the colour and type of timber significantly affects the finished colour, having such a wide range can help get exactly the right colour or mix of colours (and they are easy to mix ;) ).

• Like 1

I've only just started the flattening process on the headstock, but I have done a couple more flattening rounds on the main neck area. 

Basically, when I flatten the coats(wet sand to take out the ridges down to the bottom of the dips and valleys), I have to be making sure it is only previous varnish levels I'm removing and not wood - with black, even the slightest catch will show as a light mark.  And so I apply 3-4 coats, left to fully dry in between each, to start with and only then start the flattening and recoating stages.  I reckon the neck length itself is 2-3 flatten-and-recoat stages away from being OK.  With the back of the headstock, it's probably still 5 cycles to go :

gc8yFo2l.jpg

• Like 2

OK - onto the final knockings, I think

@fleabag has asked me if I can replicate a decal that he designed for the last time he threw down the gauntlet.  Anyone remember this?

KIrazjAl.jpg

I still wake up from time to time in a hot sweat about that challenge of challenges! ;)

Anyway, against all odds, I have found the original email to who did the decal for me so, all being well, that will be with me soon.

Timing could be spot on because this is now at the 'fully harden before final polish' stage - another way of saying it will go into a cupboard for a couple of weeks.  Here it is:

RDJ6ourh.jpg

wB9OG33h.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - onto the final knockings, I think

@fleabag has asked me if I can replicate a decal that he designed for the last time he threw down the gauntlet.  Anyone remember this?

KIrazjAl.jpg

I still wake up from time to time in a hot sweat about that challenge of challenges! ;)

Anyway, against all odds, I have found the original email to who did the decal for me so, all being well, that will be with me soon.

Timing could be spot on because this is now at the 'fully harden before final polish' stage - another way of saying it will go into a cupboard for a couple of weeks.  Here it is:

*must not think smutty thoughts about a 'hardening cupboard'*

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...