Why become a member? ×

Pain in the custom neck

fleabag

And so this is broadly what I have in mind (this is a mockup - as the neck is going to be black, the shelf will probably be ebony rather than the maple shown here):

I will be cutting a short saw slot into the neck heel for the base plate to slide into and be glued.  The overhang will be, in turn, glued to that and then the fret popped back into its slot. 

K5XSyM1l.jpg

When the neck is fitted, the plate will remain dry fitted to the body but should fully fill the gap under the overhang.

When the neck is removed, the plate should add some strength and support to the overhang which would otherwise only be held on by a mm of richlite.

• Like 2

Yes - I know.  This is like watching paint dry - or more accurately, like watching epoxy set....  9_9

So, for those who aren't comatose from boredom, the heel is slotted, the overhang has been epoxied to the ebony back plate, and the whole assembly, including fret 22, is now being epoxied to the neck, with the cling film in the pocket to prevent the whole thing being epoxied to the test body:

wlxRrowl.jpg

If this all works, it will be a minor miracle - I'll know in the next hour ;)

But if it does work, we're almost there...which, trust me, will be a blessed relief to all of us xD

• Like 4

Yup - happy with that:

2ouD7E9l.jpg

So left to do:

- Tuner holes

- Side Luminlays

- Fret level and recrown

- Final sand

- Fiebings stain

**post post

- trussrod cover magnets

- nut/spacer cut and groove

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2

On 23/04/2022 at 13:19, fleabag said:

digital verniers

*engaging pedant mode*

That's a misnomer - those are digital calipers. Vernier calipers use a sliding subsidiary scale alongside the conventional graduated scale, with a graduation of n+1 increments over the length of n graduations of the conventional scale (eg 10 graduations over 9mm). This allows for interpolation of more accurate measurements. Wiki

*disengaging pedant mode*

Lovely work Andy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joe Nation said:

That's a misnomer - those are digital calipers. Vernier calipers use a sliding subsidiary scale alongside the conventional graduated scale, with a graduation of n+1 increments over the length of n graduations of the conventional scale (eg 10 graduations over 9mm). This allows for interpolation of more accurate measurements.

Weren't they named after Alice Cooper?   🙂

Probably time to change the subject  :D

Trussrod cover magnets in/on   :

90y2ytal.jpg

Check is complete for full allen key movement and withdrawal:

Ljj3TF6l.jpg

So that's another item off the To Do list  :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 4

Next, the spacer.  Because it has a zero fret, this is needed simply to ensure the strings are positioned and spaced properly at the nut.  @fleabag had supplied me with a Graphtec blank which was cut, radiused, grooved and a drop-away filed to maintain the break angle :

ow1isctl.jpg

HdGyPKal.jpg

The grooves actually line up with my original pencil markings, which is a total surprise pleasing  :)

Another one off the to-do list ;)

• Like 3

On 27/04/2022 at 13:41, andyaber said:

Weren't they named after Alice Cooper?   🙂

Peirre Vernier. Who invented the scale in 1631, so clearly a brilliant man ahead of his time. It was probably another 150 years before the machine tools existed that could make a Vernier Caliper.

• Like 2

On 15/04/2022 at 00:59, fleabag said:

My new route is Fiebings black leather dye

You won't be disappointed with the Fiebings black dye – I tested four or five different wood dyes and stains including the Crimson one and they all had some show-through – the Fiebings is super-black at the first coat – it goes on nice and even. I should really finish the bass I used it on – see the dye here:

Edited by Fishman
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2022 at 13:05, Joe Nation said:

*engaging pedant mode*

That's a misnomer - those are digital calipers. Vernier calipers use a sliding subsidiary scale alongside the conventional graduated scale, with a graduation of n+1 increments over the length of n graduations of the conventional scale (eg 10 graduations over 9mm). This allows for interpolation of more accurate measurements. Wiki

*disengaging pedant mode*

Lovely work Andy.

Having looked at this in sickening detail,  digital calipers use two etched capacitative scales of different pitches that function in the same way as an etched vernier scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1