Why become a member? ×

NBD- ACG Krell 5 string Fretless.

WinterMute

Been waiting a year for this, there's a build diary some of you have been kind enough to comment on.

Awesome build quality, the pictures don't really do the complexity of the grain justice.

Plays like butter, Alan commented that it was "very fretless" and he's bang on, tons of mwaaaa all day long. Absolutely love it.

IMG_6605.thumb.jpeg.c7701a89268030289b1bc27cbd0645f0.jpeg   IMG_6606.thumb.jpeg.eccb7a6d53bce24c6a8ef7598d490241.jpeg

IMG_6607.thumb.jpeg.e1eae52021ddbab92f28368559a7e0b2.jpeg   IMG_6608.thumb.jpeg.cc1c1adb5483d81efb7c95dcc53d24b7.jpeg

• Like 29

4 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

It even matches the sofa and flooring: will look good in house sale pictures :)

Joking aside: lovely bass. Very fretless indeed, wonder if there are some slightly fretless ones out there.

Semi fretless? I've seen some half and half fretboards, NS did one for their 8 string, maybe one with a slightly bumpy fingerboard?

I've a Frankenstein SR5 fretless, and it's not got the sustain and tone of the ACG, it fretless with a capital "F".

• Like 1

That looks utterly phenomenal. I’m currently finalising a Krell build with Alan myself!

That extended rear carve is very cool! I’m guessing you specced that as an add-on? Tempted to ask if I can have that done to my Krell too…

Also loving the dots being ON the lines. A small detail but very well implemented.

Edited by CameronJ

45 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That looks utterly phenomenal. I’m currently finalising a Krell build with Alan myself!

That extended rear carve is very cool! I’m guessing you specced that as an add-on? Tempted to ask if I can have that done to my Krell too…

Also loving the dots being ON the lines. A small detail but very well implemented.

Nope that’s the standard Krell bodyshape. I didn’t see any need to change that. All I did was choose the woods and the spec, and add a mahogany core through the centre. 

It’s pretty standard.

The only thing I messed out was the multi-coil pickups as they only come in 18mm spacing and I prefer 16.5mm, which is standard MM SR5.

Ohhh, I’ve just realised it’s because you have a “top” wood on the back of the body! That’s why there’s an additional accent carve. Makes sense. It wouldn’t have as much visual impact on a body that didn’t have the sandwich of woods on the back!

Either way, congratulations sir. It’s a stunning thing!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Nope that’s the standard Krell bodyshape. I didn’t see any need to change that. All I did was choose the woods and the spec, and add a mahogany core through the centre. 

It’s pretty standard.

The only thing I messed out was the multi-coil pickups as they only come in 18mm spacing and I prefer 16.5mm, which is standard MM SR5.

SR5’s are 17.5mm aren’t they?

Stunning bass though, Alan is one of the best! I’d like another someday.

Si

19 minutes ago, Sibob said:

SR5’s are 17.5mm aren’t they?

Stunning bass though, Alan is one of the best! I’d like another someday.

Si

My 87 thumb was 16.5, a bit narrow, the 20th anni SR5 I have is 17 I think, as I based the Krell on the dimensions of that bass and I measured it from that bridge. Having played a couple of 18mm basses I’ve found them uncomfortable. 

So yeah the Krell is 17, not 16.5. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2022 at 22:14, Russ said:

Stunning. Are those tiny white LEDs in the fingerboard, or Luminlays or something? Or is it a trick of the light? :)

It's aluminium dots I think, there are luminlay dots to the side, but it's just reflected light in the pics.

I toyed with the idea of LED's but I don't play live very much at all these days and I thought better of it in the end.

3 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Alan would have been gutted, I know how much he loves fitting fretboard LEDs 😂

TBF, I didn't even mention it to Alan, I'm not a big fan, but they are bloody useful on dark stages.

• Like 1