Why become a member? ×

Pronunciations

Rich

The only one of the original list of Rich's that i know for sure is Wal  is not  WAL, with pronounced A, or  WALL as in brick WALL.

Its pronounced  WOLL.   Ian Waller  started the biz,  and is name is pronounced WOLLER.   So the Wal bass is WOLL

• Like 1

The worst pronunciation by Americans has to be  JAGWAR, like it was a French car.

I mean for cliffs sake,  it has a big cat on the front for the hard of thinking.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

The worst pronunciation by Americans has to be  JAGWAR, like it was a French car.

It is actually closer to how it is 'supposed' to be pronounced.  It is a Latin American word, should be HAG-waar, with a rasp on the H.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul S said:

It still doesn't alter the fact that the way the Americans pronounce it is closer to how it should be pronounced, even if it isn't the way it is usually pronounced in England.   

Which leads onto words like lieutenant and Loughborough (lowgahborowgah? O.o :D) As far as I can remember from conversations with teachers with an interest in these things, British spellings and pronunciations are the product of deciding a language by committee, taking into account every tribe's idiosyncrasies and having every dialect represented in some form or other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Which leads onto words like lieutenant and Loughborough (lowgahborowgah? O.o :D) As far as I can remember from conversations with teachers with an interest in these things, British spellings and pronunciations are the product of deciding a language by committee, taking into account every tribe's idiosyncrasies and having every dialect represented in some form or other.

Quite right. Which is why William Lyons called his cars Jaguars, not Jagwars or Hagwaars

Asparagus, seems straightforward and one way to pronounce it, right? Ooh no. Watching the TV some years back, we were treated to a Scottish gardener who pronounced it - áss-per-aar-gus, I was so open mouthed at the time, the TV might’ve fitted in - sideways!

On 15/03/2022 at 15:09, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

moog = mogue (rhymes with vogue)

I know it is pronounced that way but I still pronounce it moog, to rhyme with.. umm.. moog, not mouge.

hotone = hot tone

Nope, that gets pronounced as Hoe Tone!

mooer = moore (as in patrick moore)

Nope.. I do that as Moo er.. as in, one who moos

And don't get me started on wenge..

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

hotone = hot tone

Nope, that gets pronounced as Hoe Tone!

mooer = moore (as in patrick moore)

Nope.. I do that as Moo er.. as in, one who moos

And don't get me started on wenge..

That one's easy: when gay

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Asparagus, seems straightforward and one way to pronounce it, right? Ooh no. Watching the TV some years back, we were treated to a Scottish gardener who pronounced it - áss-per-aar-gus, I was so open mouthed at the time, the TV might’ve fitted in - sideways!

I used to work with a chap who would pronounce the well known brassica brock-oh-lye

We're no longer in touch of course

• Haha 1

On 16/03/2022 at 03:29, Cato said:

With regards to the basses I they're probably getting it right.

I live quite near Warwick and back in the day hearing Americans say War Wick castle was an endless source of amusement to me and my school mates.

It was years before I realised that without prior knowledge there's no way in the world anyone's going to guess that the second 'w' is silent.

Let's ask an expert. Renwick. 'Rennick' or 'Wren Wick'?

The Duke of Marlborough resides at Blenheim Castle.

Renwick is in 'Marlbrah', up the road from 'Blennim'.

32 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Let's ask an expert. Renwick. 'Rennick' or 'Wren Wick'?

The Duke of Marlborough resides at Blenheim Castle.

Renwick is in 'Marlbrah', up the road from 'Blennim'.

Try Trottiscliffe, pronounced Trozlee

Or one from Orkney:

Rothiesholm, pronounced Rowshum (the first syllable is row as in argument).

Beauchamp pronounced Beecham, Belvoir pronounced Beever...