Why become a member? ×

Pronunciations

Rich

It seems that when we Anglicise most things it is OK but then sometimes it's not - and there doesn't appear to be any kind of uniformity to it.  We don't call Paris Pah-REE, don't called Seville 'Seh-BEE-ya' , most people call Puerto Rico 'Portorico' etc etc.  Loads of European cities are still spelt and pronounced the 'English' way in everyday English - Rome, Genoa, Naples, The Hague etc.  I personally don't feel it is worth making a stand over paella. :) 

Even worse when you start looking at how to proniounce Latin/Greek derived plant names.  There are certain conventions in place but they are largely ignored because they sound silly :D  

• Like 1

D'Angelico is another... I've always said 'Dan-jeh-LEEko', I hope that's right. Their guitars are beautiful and I'd hate to be disrespectful.

10 hours ago, toneknob said:

Bruschetta 

Oh god yes... "Can I have the broo-shetter please..." *cringe*

Just now, Leonard Smalls said:

My favourite is Rubus Cockburnianus.

Why doesn't that surprise me :D 

Slightly OT but the good folks at RHS Hyde Hall gardens are going to make a border that contains all the 'titter-ye-not' latin names for the entertainment of kids - whatever age they are.  Should be fun. :) 

We have to keep throwable objects out of reach when watching any programs involving food. Lady Ez studied Spanish at college, so you can imagine her ire with the various pronunciations of chorizo (chor-its-O being the most offensive, step forward Greg Wallace). However, it is the current pronunciation of almond as al-mond rather than ar-mond, that really has her shouting at the TV. As to the correct pronunciation of oregano and turmeric, who knows? It’s all rather like Uranus and pecan (according to a Texan of our acquaintance, you pee in a can if caught short, you don’t eat it, that’d be a peck-arn).