Why become a member? ×

Pronunciations

Rich

There's a few manufacturers with names that are open to a range of different pronunciations. Here's a few with my interpretations, and I'd appreciate corrections if anyone has any.

Wal - I used to think it rhymed with 'pal', but then I heard Pete the Fish rhyme it with 'doll' so I guessed that must be correct.

Sei - I've heard it variously pronounced as 'say' and 'sigh'. I'm 90% sure it's the former, but I'm fully expecting to be 100% wrong.

Lakland - from what I understand, it's 'lake-' rather than 'lack-'. Yes..?

Maruszczyk - I'm reliably informed that it's 'maroosh-chick', I hope that's right because whenever anyone asks what make my gorgeous strap is, that's what I tell them. Knowing my luck it's probably pronounced 'eggbox' or something.

Babicz - OK, definitely stumbling in the dark a bit here. I'm guessing at 'ba-bítch'..?

Mayones - is it 'may-owns'? Or 'mayo-ness'?

Sadowsky - I'm assuming 'sad-of-ski', yes? 

Anyone else got any other pispronounced worms?

Edited by Rich

It's a bit of a minefield and I'm going no way near Maruszczyk 😂

Ones I'm fairly confident on are......

Lakland - I've heard Geezer Butler call his sig bass lake-land. Unless it's a brummie thing then I reckon that's right!

Babicz - bab-icks

Mayones - my-on-ez

Sadowsky - sad-oww-ski

7 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Lakland - I've heard Geezer Butler call his sig bass lake-land. Unless it's a brummie thing then I reckon that's right!

Nah, a Brummie thing would be 'like-land'. :lol: 

• Haha 8

24 minutes ago, 40hz said:

How Americans say Warwick. It puts my teeth on edge!

With regards to the basses I they're probably getting it right.

I live quite near Warwick and back in the day hearing Americans say War Wick castle was an endless source of amusement to me and my school mates.

It was years before I realised that without prior knowledge there's no way in the world anyone's going to guess that the second 'w' is silent.

42 minutes ago, 40hz said:

How Americans say Warwick. It puts my teeth on edge!

I was once asked directions to Leicester Square. Didn't have a clue at first.........then the penny dropped. Duh!

Don't get me started on cocktails that have a cerain spicy sauce from Worcester in them! Grinding  teeth, for sure.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

There's a few manufacturers with names that are open to a range of different pronunciations. Here's a few with my interpretations, and I'd appreciate corrections if anyone has any.

Wal - I used to think it rhymed with 'pal', but then I heard Pete the Fish rhyme it with 'doll' so I guessed that must be correct.

Sei - I've heard it variously pronounced as 'say' and 'sigh'. I'm 90% sure it's the former, but I'm fully expecting to be 100% wrong.

Lakland - from what I understand, it's 'lake-' rather than 'lack-'. Yes..?

Maruszczyk - I'm reliably informed that it's 'maroosh-chick', I hope that's right because whenever anyone asks what make my gorgeous strap is, that's what I tell them. Knowing my luck it's probably pronounced 'eggbox' or something.

Babicz - OK, definitely stumbling in the dark a bit here. I'm guessing at 'ba-bítch'..?

Mayones - is it 'may-owns'? Or 'mayo-ness'?

Sadowsky - I'm assuming 'sad-of-ski', yes? 

Anyone else got any other pispronounced worms?

Wal - Yeah, I think it’s ‘Wol’.

Sei - I always thought it was ‘sigh’, as in seismic.

Lakland - I’m a fairly recent convert to Lakland and had up until that point assumed it was ‘Lack-land’. I had to ask how it should be pronounced and you’re right, it should be ‘Lake-land’.  Quite handy as I no longer incur the wrath of Mrs.H by mixing up the name of the shop with how I had been pronouncing the bass manufacturer. 

Maruszczyk - Never had to type it.  Never had to say it. And probably never will.

Babicz - I always though it was ‘Ba-bits’ 🤷‍♂️

Mayones - I thought it was ‘May-own-ez’ 🤷‍♂️

Sadowsky - ‘Sa-dow-ski’ all day long.

Vanderkley always confuses me. Is it ‘Van-der-clay’?

Aguilar - I’m presuming ‘A-gill-are’?

Ibanez can be either "EYE-ban-ezz" or "ee-BARN-yez" - I always thought the guitar company pronounced it the former way, but I could be wrong; the latter is commonly a Hispanic surname.

Warwick has only one W; Rockbass has no Ws.

Korean car brand Hyundai famously has three official pronunciations, depending on whether you're in Korea (HYUN-die), the US (HUN-day) or Europe (high-n-dry).

32 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Vanderkley always confuses me. Is it ‘Van-der-clay’?

Aguilar - I’m presuming ‘A-gill-are’?

Van-der-clay is my assumption too.

In my head, I've always pronounced Aguilar as 'a-gee-yar', assuming a quasi-Spanish approach. Anyone know for sure?

13 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

joyo = joe yo!

suhr = sir

As opposed to the 'joy-oh' and 'soor' (to rhyme with pure) that I'd always assumed.

10 minutes ago, Joe Nation said:

Ibanez can be either "EYE-ban-ezz" or "ee-BARN-yez" - I always thought the guitar company pronounced it the former way, but I could be wrong; the latter is commonly a Hispanic surname.

I've seen people arguing that it's 'EE-ban-yeth' too. God only knows. It'd be nice to know how the company say it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

I've seen people arguing that it's 'EE-ban-yeth' too. God only knows. It'd be nice to know how the company say it!

I don't have the definitive answer but Andertons favour eyebanez in their videos.

You'd hope they'd know.

Vanderkley is an anglicisation of Van Der Kleij isn't it? So it would be Van-Der-kly with a shortened J at the end?

I might have got this horrendously wrong. But I'm sure I saw it somewhere online where Dutch folk were discussing the cabs.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1