Why become a member? ×

Bass confessions

When I bought my first bass from McCormack`s in Glasgow, I got a second hand 10 watt Epiphone amp to go with it. It was in another room from the till and when the guy at the till asked how much the other guy said it was to buy, I told him £50. It was a lie, the other guy said it was £60 so I done them out of a tenner.

No wonder the shop shut!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I never adjust my tone, balance or volume controls. 

Instead, 15 years ago, I set them where I liked them, and put a spot of nail varnish on each knob to show me where they should be. 

Same... but no need for markers. Up full for me.

58 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I practice at home two or three times a week, so when I arrive at the rehearsals, it sounds like I don't need to rehearse. 

With the greatest respect, I have to point out that you have really confessed to not knowing that practice and rehearsal are two different things.

You are actually doing it right and those who use rehearsal as time to practice are doing it wrong.

• Like 4

My biggest confession is I was given, yes given, an American Std. P bass from an admirer in the States. I exchanged e mails with her for a while many years ago. I thought it was harmless fun but she started getting a bit serious. I never met her in person but she insisted on buying me this bass. I got a bit uncomfortable with this whole thing and offered to pay for it but she insisted that it was a gift and wouldn't hear of any such thing.

I finally found my chance when her husband emailed me and accused me of everything. I cut all ties and escaped with my favourite bass safely in my hands. I don't feel good about accepting such an expensive gift but she absolutely insisted. I had no idea she was married either. I suppose I should at least feel guilty for stringing her along as I had no intentions of taking it further but in my defence it was all just friendly from my side.

52 minutes ago, Joe Nation said:

That's either an unfortunate error on your part, or a very deep self-referencing joke.

I kinda thought it was ironic......so go with the deep self-referencing bit.....:)

Edited by dclaassen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/03/2022 at 23:00, squire5 said:

If I'm totally honest, I have NO idea what that means😮

Phew, I'm not the only one.

I also have no idea what the chrome pickup cover thing is for on certain older Ps and Jazzs (I get that the bridge cover is hiding the mute, but there ain't no mute over the pickup is there?).

Edited by Joe Nation

On 18/03/2022 at 08:05, Bassfinger said:

I have a confession to make.  A secret so extreme, so perverted, so "unusual" that you may be shocked, even horrified.

I don't believe in "tone wood".

After 30+ years of playing I'd never heard of the phrase 'tone wood' until I came on BC. Now I sure wish it remained that way😁.

My idea of customisation is putting a sticker on the body

I confess that I've realised, now, having played bass since the dawn of time, that when I was a 'professional' bass player in London in the 1970's I really wasn't actually very good at it ......

The worrying part of this is that other band members in various bands I played with at the time told me how good I was...........

Were they just being polite ???  😳