Why become a member? ×

Bass confessions

Great thread for me. I am not even a bassist. I own one, an Ibanez acoustic which is very nice. But in truth I am a guitarist and a singer and have never played bass at a gig. I suppose I could manage root notes if I had to. But I have never tried it and feel a bit of a fraud even lurking here, as I usually do.

In the first band I played in, I never once tuned my bass, or changed the strings.  Prior to our first gig I told our guitarist, who was a perfectionist, that I didn't know how to do it properly.  For 3 years he kept my bass in perfect tip top shape.  I would rock up with a new set of strings every now and again, pass them onto him and leave him to work his magic while I smoked a Marlboro or two and supped on a Newcastle Brown Ale.  Happy days!

Edited by kendall

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

I like accordions ...

... and banjos ...

... even bagpipes ...

... and concertinas.

image.gif.afe8342bd624f2e3bf01b514cc6fcde8.gif

• Haha 1

I bought various Darkglass pedals looking for that cool, punchy, grinding bass tone in my head....... only to find they just made me sound like a generic metal player.... and I actually already had that cool, punchy, grinding tone in my bass/amp/pick combination....!

Despite all the agonising on this forum about tone, I pretty much don't care what my bass sounds like as I reckon the punters don't give a rats @ss whether my high-mids are appropriately balanced etc. As long as it goes dum dum dum on a gig I figure that's fine

• Like 4