Why become a member? ×

Bass confessions

7 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

I've been playing bass guitar for nearly fifty years.

For the first forty years I was getting better.

Now I am only getting older.

After 50 years common sense kicks. You play 50% less notes and sound 200% better. 

• Like 3

I have a bass confession, something shameful. Something so perverted and warped that if the media were to find out then I would be headline news across the world. Here it is...

I do not believe that MIA fenders are automatically better 'quality' or better sounding than top flight examples of the same bass from some of Fender's other factories. 

There, I've said it.  I am working hard at this, going to all the counselling and taking the medication, so I hope you'll not judge me and will find it in your hearts to be supportive at this difficult time.

• Like 3

I left school at 14 years old, these things happened in the 20th century, my first bass was made by a UK manufacturer WEM who made amplification too

I clawed my way up the ladder Fender Mustang.. Pbass.. Rickernbacker 4001 stero bass with stereo amplification..(I should be deaf ).. MM Stingray, eventually owner of a 1962 Jazz bass and Fender Stratocaster from the same year ...(not bad for someone with learning difficulties ) and zero education..

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I had an active bass for four years before realising that that had a passive switch by pulling the tone knob up. 

I still have no idea how to use an Effects Loop

Best to just ignore it tbh.

19 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

For years I played the intro and verse to Gimme Some Lovin'  as  i - i -  i - i - i - iv.  

Oh, the shame :facepalm:

Hands up all those that have just hummed that to themselves, or reached for their bass🎸

FWIW I think you may have actually improved on a classic🤩

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I first started playing the common opinion in my group of mates was that using a tuner pedal was some sort of awful affectation and they were only used by non-serious musicians with too much money.  You just needed an accurate E and it's harmonics for the rest.

So I used to tune up at home using a flexi disk from a "learn to play the bass" book, and when we all got to practice/gigs everybody would tune to my E.

None of us understood about stretching strings.  We did understand about staring at everybody else and insisting that they were out of tune, definitely not me

Edited by Monkey Steve