Why become a member? ×

Metallic rattling sound recording bass

GusBeare

Hi

I've been trying to find a really simple, quick way to record bass videos without using a DAW.  From what I can work out when you want to make a video with sound you have to record sound using the DAW and video with some other device and later stitch the two together in video editing software. I want to be able to record both at the same time into a single file without having to join up later.

Is this too much to ask?

So what I have been trying is using my web cam which does pretty good video (Logitech C920 + Logitech capture software) with the mic set as the Fender Mustang Micro which is plugged into the bass and by USB-C into the PC.

Unfortunately I get this horrible rattling sound and I can't work out why or how to get rid of it. Check out the attached vid.

If I plug the Mustang Micro into Ableton it's fine.  If I use the mic on the web cam to record myself playing I get the same rattle.

I've tried setting the recording levels really low but even when I can barely hear it after recording I can still hear the rattle.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is Logitech Capture just not up to recoding such low frequencies?

thanks for any suggestions

Gus

2 hours ago, NickD said:

That doesn't sound like a rattle from the bass to me, it like a fizzing from the mic.

I'm not using a mic. Bass is used with a Fender Mustang Micro amp which goes into the PC with a usb-c cable.

In the Logitech Capture settings in the list of available microphones I choose "AUX Fender Mustang Micro".

The variation in volume is probably just uneven playing. I'm a beginner.

My hypothesis is that the software is unable to handle the bass properly.

If I use my Fender Rumble 15 and the mic on the web cam I get the same buzz/rattle.

It just can't seem to handle the lows but it has to be a software issue. Because with the micro amp I am not using a mic.

Capture.JPG