Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb BO4 custom - price drop £900 - *SOLD*
£1000
Epsom

CookPassBabtridge

Up for sale is my 4-string Warwick Thumb bass. A reluctant sale but I am in need of the cash.

This is a team-built bolt-on model from 2008, so has the Ovangkol body and neck with Wenge fretboard. Although it is a 14-year-old bass it only has a couple of year’s use under its belt – the shop I bought it from said it had been in storage with a bankrupt distributor for a long time prior to me buying it as the first owner. A couple of very minor marks on the back only visible on closer inspection, otherwise in very good condition.

You can probably tell from the pics that there are also some custom options on here! These are:

• 3-band Bartolini preamp – in my opinion a significant upgrade on the stock MEC 2-band. Controlling the mids on a Thumb is very important (again IMO) and this allows you to do that in spades
  • Brass nut – standard nuts are made of plastic, the brass is much more solid and complements the brass frets nicely
  • Wenge truss rod cover and tuners – a nice aesthetic addition to match the neck wood (black is standard, I can provide the original plastic truss rod cover as well if you prefer easy access to the truss rod)
  • John East knobs – these have a very nice, understated look and fit the Bartolini pots
  • ‘Peacock’ finish – probably the most stand-out feature of this bass. Hopefully the pics give you an idea but the finish changes colour under light with various peacock shades. This is a custom colour that I commissioned from Bow Finishing who are pretty legendary in the realms of guitar finishing

All of these options were installed/carried out by professionals but would cost a huge amount if done via the Warwick custom shop, so pick up a one-of-a-kind Thumb for a great price here!

Other than the above, the bass has the original MEC pickups so still retains that typical Warwick character and growl. It’s also an absolute slap monster. According to my kitchen scales the weight is approximately 4.3kg.

Was £1000 now £900 including a Warwick gig bag, no offers or trades please. Collection from Surrey.

Feel free to check my feedback with confidence, any questions just let me know!

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

Edited by CookPassBabtridge
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, three said:

Gorgeous finish and the quality of Bow’s work is stupendous.  I know from experience that Thumbs don’t work for me but this looks beautiful and some serious upgrades

Thanks, yes the quality of the finish is second to none and the Bart preamp in particular adds a lot to the bass.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I normally can't stand modded basses. This however, looks superb. Nicely done and very tasteful.

Thanks, very kind of you to say - I thought really carefully about these mods so they’d enhance the bass but not take too much away from its inherent character. 

• CookPassBabtridge changed the title to Warwick Thumb BO4 custom - price drop £900