Why become a member? ×

George Benson.

bubinga5

Agree whole heartedly.

One of the few guitarists I enjoy listening to, the unison scat singing/guitar solo thing isn't to everyone's taste but I love that.

A great soul singer and a great jazz guitarist...

I've said that and I'm about to join a metal band 🤣

• Like 1

There's a great YT video about a guy who buys secondhand records. George Benson contacted him and basically said 'I have too many albums and I want rid, would you like to buy them? This guy rang up GB, got invited up to the house and was treated with great courtesy and GB went throught his collection with loads of anecdotes saying which of the records he wanted to keep and which he would sell. The record shop guy got 2 or 3 videos out of it with GB's permission, they even went to a bar together. Seems he's a really nice guy.

• Like 4

GB used to come over and tour quite frequently - Mrs S and I would go see him at the Royal Albert Hall each time.  10-15 years ago he was the consummate performer but over the years his dexterity on the guitar became less and less, his voice became less able to hit the notes.  To be expected, he is nearly 80 now.  The most recent performance (2018?) just didn't do it for me - he kind of spoke a lot of the lyrics, spent ages between songs telling stories from his long career, didn't play the guitar so much.  We decided not to go see him any more - rather just remember how he was.  

• Like 1

I have pretty much all of GB's albums going right back to the CTI (Jazz) days. I think he's great.

Although, some of the YouTube videos I have seen of him in the last 6/7 years or so, he seems to be struggling a bit and below the high standards he set.

But then again, as pointed out above, he's getting on a bit.

I was listening to the Breezin' album earlier today. Some really great playing from all involved.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

Got ‘Breezin’ when it was released, and loved it. Not really my usual sort of music but great songs and playing, especially on ‘This Masquerade’.

Also remember hearing him do ‘The greatest love of all’ from the soundtrack to the 1977 movie about Muhammed Ali ‘The Greatest’. Although not as technically perfect as Whitney Houston’s later version, his vocal is still superb. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Got ‘Breezin’ when it was released, and loved it. Not really my usual sort of music but great songs and playing, especially on ‘This Masquerade’.

Yes, my fave track on the album, too.  A rare talent - in his day to be considered one of the best mdern jazz guitar players AND on of the best singers is quite remarkable.

And he can roller skate backwards!  Respect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2022 at 14:50, bubinga5 said:

Ive said it before and ill say it again. This guy is hands down awesome.  

From Masters At Work's Nuyorican Soul record (I prefer the studio version 😁), which is very much worth a listen. There's also a great version of Bob James' Nautilus on there.

I saw him at The Albert hall, many moons ago with Mrs Bassman…

A fantastic showman with a varied catalogue & a very underrated guitarist.

I couldn’t stop watching the Bass player, as every so often, his foot would move out & he’d start playing a tambourine with his foot!

• Like 1

I've been a very long time fan of George Benson. I've all his albums, but 'Give me the Night" is one of my favourite albums of all time. I came for George's singing and Guitar playing, and stayed for Abe Laboriels bass playing 😍 (Louis Johnson's on it too 😁)

I've been a fan since the 70s. His version of 'Take 5' from around that time is outstanding IMO, and I loved the 'Breezin'' album. I was lucky enough to see him at the North Sea Jazz Festival in the Hague in about 2002. A great player and a fine singer.