Why become a member? ×

Weird conspiracy theory involving the so-called British Invasion of America

NikNik

4 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

As a geologist myself I can confirm that places like Iceland don't bear any real scrutiny as a comparison to the lunar landscape. An entirely differnet mechanism behind the vulcanism at each.

The biggest blow to the lunar landing conspiracists seems to be that the trails of the astronauts footprints are visible from lunar orbit, and the US, India and the japanese have photographed these trails from lunar orbit.  The Chinese will also have been in a position to view them with multiple unmanned craft, although they have not specifically stated that they have done so.

Those footprints are from The Clangers, even The Master in Dr Who admired them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingBollock said:

Creaky Blinder and Sir Sic can be good for a more light-hearted/sarcastic take on conspiracies. I think both of them have done stuff with Scimandan. Creaky even had Aron Ra on his podcast recently, which was a bit of a coup for a small Youtuber.

I often find conspiracy videos by people like Hans Wurmhat and the bloke behind Mud Fossil University can be equal parts fun and frustrating.

I do listen to Creaky and Sir Sic. Both are entertaining. 

My favourite flat earther is CC. He once chose to post a video on YouTube and not cut out the bit where his wife comes in and basically calls him an idiot. His whole thing is "I don't understand it so it can't be right". He even made a video where he filmed a ship go over the horizon and disappear from the bottom up as would only happen on a spherical planet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky L said:

Oh I also forgot to say that if you get in to any sort of conversation with them, at somepoint they will say "it's a distraction". I have been told that apparently all that is going on in Ukraine is a distraction. Daring to ask from what, will then lead to a 10 or 15 minute tranmission at you, not pausing for breath, nor for sense either.

I believe that a lot of these conspiracies lead back to an anti-science stance and have a religious doctrine behind them. Lots of Ytube alternative presenters have a strong "God" flavour to their crackpot nonsense. Maybe it's possible that the religious leaders, seeing their flocks and incomes dwindling significantly, have infiltrated to world of "alternate truth" and are manipulating it do turn people away from science and back to religion. 

Hmm.. is that my own conspiacy theory I have going there?

The Vatican at least accepted both evolution and the big bang. No idea about other major religions. All science ultimately has its roots with religion wanting to better understand God's creation but the more they learned the less science needed a god so they parted ways

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I recommend checking out scimandan on YouTube. His whole thing is about pseudoscience and science based conspiracies. His Flat Earth Friday videos are always good for a laugh. The Netflix film Behind the Curve is also worth a watch, a group of flat earthers blow a load of money on experiments to prove the earth is flat and you can probably guess what happens. 

Ahhh....I remember that film. I'd love to see it but I won't entertain Netflix. 

I recommend checking out scimandan on YouTube. His whole thing is about pseudoscience and science based conspiracies. His Flat Earth Friday videos are always good for a laugh. The Netflix film Behind the Curve is also worth a watch, a group of flat earthers blow a load of money on experiments to prove the earth is flat and you can probably guess what happens. 

8 hours ago, Marky L said:

Oh I also forgot to say that if you get in to any sort of conversation with them, at somepoint they will say "it's a distraction". I have been told that apparently all that is going on in Ukraine is a distraction. Daring to ask from what, will then lead to a 10 or 15 minute tranmission at you, not pausing for breath, nor for sense either.

A few weeks ago we had Boris answering questions about Partygate, the SNP had just spent £250,000 of our money hiring lawyers to defend them even before the covid enquiry had begun, Trudeau declares a national emergency, arrests truckers for demonstrating and accuses his opposition of siding with Nazis and confederate flag wavers and the price of gas is going through the roof when suddenly, boof, Putin heads for the Ukraine.

Suddenly all of these things are forgotten about as everyone rallies to the aid of the Ukraine ( rightly so or course ) and the gas price rise is now all Russia's fault.

The timing was impeccible - was this a distraction from all of the above, sheer coincidence, or some other third reason?

Probably a massive coincidence but the conspiracy theorists must be foaming at the mouth over that one

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

I have an erstwhile colleague who is vegan and into alternative, holistic medical treatments. Fair enough. He's also deep into the chemtrail/black beam conspiracy theory. He would get really uptight if you told him they were nothing but actual condensation trails.

Of all the conspiracy theories out there the flat earth bunch are my favourite. Even if there was no scientific way of disproving them, no space travel etc etc why would anyone bother to cover up that we live on a non-spherical planet. Apparently the answer is something to do with at the very edges in the frozen wastes there are secret heavily guarded places where the global elites all hang out. Seems entirely logical to me that rather than enjoy beautiful beaches or alpine scenery the planets rulers would seek some kind of chintzy Siberian exile. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

I have an erstwhile colleague who is vegan and into alternative, holistic medical treatments. Fair enough. He's also deep into the chemtrail/black beam conspiracy theory. He would get really uptight if you told him they were nothing but actual condensation trails.

I did work in the aircraft industry for a little while (more boring than you'd think) and got in to a conversation with someone who believed in chemicals. I'd had a few beers at the time so told her my job was installing the chemical spraying system. As the conversation progressed I got more and more ridiculous with it and she believed all of it, even that the planes carry the highly toxic chemical liquid dihydrogen oxide to spray and sometimes even add the banned substance sodium chloride to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I did work in the aircraft industry for a little while (more boring than you'd think) and got in to a conversation with someone who believed in chemicals. I'd had a few beers at the time so told her my job was installing the chemical spraying system. As the conversation progressed I got more and more ridiculous with it and she believed all of it, even that the planes carry the highly toxic chemical liquid dihydrogen oxide to spray and sometimes even add the banned substance sodium chloride to it.

You bad man! I love your style. That's almost like the tale I would spin to unsuspecting Americans about how haggis were real creatures, had their left legs shorter than their right, and were hunted in the mists that surrounded Scottish mountains.😁

Edited by NikNik
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NikNik said:

You bad man! I love your style. That's almost like the tale I would spin to unsuspecting Americans about how haggis were real creatures, had their left legs shorter than their right, and were hunted in the mists that surrounded Scottish mountains.😁

Oh we all know that about haggis.

I have explained this to several South Koreans, when I worked for Kia Motors UK Ltd and Visited Korea.

I have even told a few Ukranians about the short legs on one side of a haggis when i was there in 2004.

Oh. and to some Canarians when I lived in Tenerife.

Am I a conspiracy theorist? ....that would be exciting!

:biggrin:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

AIUI there are two types of Haggis, the Clockwise (short right legs) and Anti-Clockwise (short left). Which are more rare? And do they taste different?

Correct. It is the short right-sided individuals that are rare. As to taste? I believe it is they who are more tasty, due to the fact that they forage lower on the mountainside than their left-legged brethren and have access to the more succulent and more nutritious plants, worms and insects that inhabit those areas.

Edited by NikNik
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Why not? After all, they worked really well for Steve Jobs.

I did add 'fair enough'. Indeed, one he recommended did wonders for my back that no physiotherapist or - shudder - chiropractor could ever have done!

• Like 1