Why become a member? ×

Deftones part company with Sergio Vega

Graham

https://consequence.net/2022/03/sergio-vega-leaves-deftones/?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-consequence&utm_content=later-25203537&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

I think this is a mistake by Deftones and one they'll come to regret. Based on Vega's statement and singer Chino Moreno's Instagram post, he seems to have been treated pretty poorly.

Vega's playing - particularly on the most recent record Ohms - was excellent and he seemed to bring a lot to the table. Perhaps the band don't care and he did nothing but play notes as directed by others, but it seems unlikely.

Still, the last Quicksand album was very good, so hopefully we'll get more of that.

FB_IMG_1647070871145.jpg

It’s sad how people can be shoddily treated when they join bands. Politics mean that money can’t be shared equally. You see it all the time with credits when someone you see all of the time isn’t mentioned

I think some of it may be down to not wanting to replace Chi. The rest of the band were gutted when he died and I think maybe that's a big part of it. Sergio does deserve to be treated right though. 

I think maybe it's a similar situation to Jason Newstead and Metallica. 

I think Sergio is quite an underrated bassist. He doesn't do anything fancy but he's got a ton of groove and never over plays.

I still can't get past Stephen Carpenter believing the earth is flat. How can a man who has been around the globe so many times believe its flat. I know he's smoked a LOT of weed but I didn't think there was enough to make people believe the earth is flat

It is rather shoddy of the band not to give Vega a proper deal after over a decade playing with them. Very sleazy indeed. That said, I suppose the band are of the (correct) opinion that pretty much anyone who can hold a bass could play everything they've ever recorded so they probably won't have to look far to find a cheap replacement. 

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

It is rather shoddy of the band not to give Vega a proper deal after over a decade playing with them. Very sleazy indeed. That said, I suppose the band are of the (correct) opinion that pretty much anyone who can hold a bass could play everything they've ever recorded so they probably won't have to look far to find a cheap replacement. 

Sergio didn't just play, he did a lot of writing as well. Some of their bass parts are easy to play but not so easy to play well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm not familiar with Sergio's work with Deftones, but Chi was an absolute zen master of bass. The Jamerson of metal.

Sergio had a very different style to Chi but he could certainly play Chi's stuff live very well. I've seen both live with Deftones twice each and both were excellent. Sergio has more presence on stage and a more minimal style. Chi could play like a machine but just stood back and did his thing. 

Chi did come out and meet fans after the show and hung out for a while which was cool.

• Like 1

I don't suppose we'll ever know exactly what was really behind it, but it sounds like he wanted to be part of the band, and they were happy to keep him as the hired help.  If he was after a share of the sweet, sweet T-shirt money then that may have forced their hand, and while it may seem short sighted, I can understand why they might want to have a distinction between original members and latecomers, whether financial or otherwise.

I've certainly seen that sort of thing force issues in other bands, admittedly not at that level, but one name band I know have a level of tolerance for musicians who can turn up and do their job even if they don't especially like them as individuals, but that wanes if the musician struts around like they own the band, which makes them focus on any shortcomings. One hired hand is on very thin ice at the moment and I'd put money on him not seeing out the year.  But to the public, you'd never know that he wasn't really part of the band, because the good PR thing to do is announce that he's in the band and everything's great, and when someone is sacked it's never a sacking, they have decided to devote their time to other projects and the band wishes them well, etc. 

This one is unusual that the dirty washing is being aired in public, but I suspect it's more common that we think

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

If I knew who to kick to get another Rival Schools album, too, I'd be putting my boots on.

United By Fate is one of those albums that always takes me by surprise, I forget how good it is, put it on and it blows me away every time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Doctor J said:

If I knew who to kick to get another Rival Schools album, too, I'd be putting my boots on.

10 hours ago, Graham said:

United By Fate is one of those albums that always takes me by surprise, I forget how good it is, put it on and it blows me away every time.

Soooooooo good. Remember seeing the Used For Glue video on MTV2 back in the day and being instantly hooked. Such a great record. I met Walter when I was about 17 (20 years ago 😳) and he was an absolute gent too, spent about 45 minutes just hanging out and chatting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Deftones have lost a lot of respect from me. 

Their last album was awful. 

Sergio getting let go was a mistake. 

And flat earther Steph isn't helping either!

I liked the last album. I'll agree letting Sergio go was a mistake, his playing was perfect for the bands overall sound.

Steph knows more about this than we do, he's been around the globe dozens of times, he knows it's flatter than his guitar tuning. Seriously though, the man smokes far too much weed and it's scrambled his brain. I met him a few years ago and hung out with him and Sergio for half an hour and Steph is fried in the head, I've no idea how he can still play.