Why become a member? ×

Humbucker in a P style bass?

Rubbersoul

I have an old Westone Concorde with a p pickup in it. I was just wondering if it was practical to ditch the existing pup and stick a hummer in instead? Would you put it in the same place? Back towards the bridge? No Idea if this will happen, just curious at this point.

58 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Puzzled ... surely the pickup in a P-style bass IS a humbucker? What am I missing here?

And don't call me Shirley.

Completely correct.  This is one of the reasons for a P pup is in 2 pieces - they're wound in opposite directions.

On 14/03/2022 at 11:20, Alien said:

Completely correct.  This is one of the reasons for a P pup is in 2 pieces - they're wound in opposite directions.

True. Think the OP was referring to a Musicman soap bar humbucker, or at least that was the conclusion I drew. 

• Like 1

You can wire a four wire (or five, makes no difference) humbucker in to give you bridge side single coil, both coils in series, both coils in parallel and neck side single coil with a four position rotary switch, or push/pull volume and tone controls. 

I did this on a Stingray copy. 

• Like 1