Why become a member? ×

Tuning without a tuner

Lfalex v1.1

Just something that popped into my head yesterday when the need arose.

In the absence of any kind of tuner, how does one tune up?

I was using a Nux Mighty Plug (at work during lunch),  which,  you guessed it, doesn't have a tuner. 

It accepts a (music) signal streamed via Bluetooth to play along to. The bass guitar side comes from it being directly plugged into the bass itself.

I downloaded a sine wave generator app onto my phone, finding that it had precise settings for each note from C⁰ to A¹⁰ (16Hz to 22kHz!).  I simply selected the note that corresponds to the 12th fret harmonic for the desired pitch of the string and tuned by ear via headphones. (I was in BEADG)

Repeated the process at home and checked the results against a Korg DTR1000. Found it to be pretty accurate.

Pros-

"Free" if you have the right equipment to hand

Requires no more than Bluetooth audio to connect OR a 3.5mm stereo lead to physically connect to devices that allow connection of bass + device (usually via "aux in")

No need for phone interfaces or strange cables.

Trendier than pitch pipes and easier to use.

Cons-

Takes a bit longer to tune accurately.

Not quite as good a an actual tuner, but very close

And before anyone says clip-on tuner..

It's a headless bass! (And I don't own one!)

Hope this may be of use to someone out there at some point.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Many years ago I used to, in the absence of a tuner, tune to a known reference record.

That record was Blitzkreig Bop by the Ramones. It’s in the key of A…. an open string. There’s not much going on except the chord and root note bass, so nothing to confuse my poor musical brain.

But only as accurate as my turntable speed.

then tune the other strings from the A string.

Given my sense of pitch if probably sounded awful.

• Like 1

As a big motorsport fan in days of yore, the old F1 theme (that bit of F.Mac's "The Chain") is burned indelibly into my brain. Its first note is an A and I can make a pretty good stab at getting the correct pitch.

EDIT: have just tested my theory by humming at a tuner, I was only a few cents out. In the absence of any sort of tuning device, it'll do.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

As a big motorsport fan in days of yore, the old F1 theme (that bit of F.Mac's "The Chain") is burned indelibly into my brain. Its first note is an A and I can make a pretty good stab at getting the correct pitch.

EDIT: have just tested my theory by humming at a tuner, I was only a few cents out. In the absence of any sort of tuning device, it'll do.

Same for me, just not the same song. There’s a bit in Supper’s Ready that is burned into my brain that ends on a D. Tune from there.

I’ll have a try later and see if I can still do it.

16 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Same for me, just not the same song. There’s a bit in Supper’s Ready that is burned into my brain that ends on a D. Tune from there.

Exactly where in the ~25 minutes of "Supper's Ready"  is it?

Before or after "A Flower 🌼?"

😄

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

😄

Oh come on, it's obviously the bit just after it goes dum-de-dum-dum "la la something" de dum, as any fule kno.

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Many years ago I used to, in the absence of a tuner, tune to a known reference record.

That record was Blitzkreig Bop by the Ramones. It’s in the key of A…. an open string. There’s not much going on except the chord and root note bass, so nothing to confuse my poor musical brain.

This was the tuning method de jour back before electronic tuners became widely available. It was either that or the awfulness that are/were pitchpipes. 

• Like 2

I downloaded the free Fender tuner app a while back.

It works well on amplified instruments but it's not great at picking up the E string on an unamplified bass which is a PITA because I got it mainly to tune the fretless I tend to noodle on unamplified.

Edited by Cato

3 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Assuming they were properly in tune too.

There’s a Stones song I had to learn a few years ago. I can’t remember now whether they were sharp or flat, they certainly weren’t at concert pitch.

• Like 1

I raised a question a while ago about recordings using non-standard pitch. @BigRedX came up with one of the most satisfactory explanations;

Recordings (particularly analogue ones) were often sped up or slowed down for pacing reasons (the song sounded too slow) or for timing reasons (to fit on given side of an LP, for example), leading to the off- sounding tuning. 

Played live,  it's all back to normal. 

Good example- Hammer to Fall (Queen) in its original form. Its back at standard pitch in live versions. 

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Wasn't there some method of tuning a G via a 60 cycle mains hum?

I used to think maybe one could use a landline dial tone but the UK tone "combines two 350 Hz and 450 Hz tones instead, creating a 100Hz beat frequency".  None of these tones are bang-on musical notes which makes it damn near useless.

The French landline dial tone is 440hz or A4 but you'd have to go France to use it so that's damn near useless as well.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Wasn't there some method of tuning a G via a 60 cycle mains hum?

60Hz is half way between A# and B, but you would have to be in the states for that to be relevant.

Over here, our 50Hz is close to G but not exact.

Apart from a free tuning app on the phone, you only need one other person (preferably not the drummer) to give you a note and that is it sorted isn't it? I have tuners, but if I am upstairs, i just play an A on the piano and go from there.

6 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

😄

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Oh come on, it's obviously the bit just after it goes dum-de-dum-dum "la la something" de dum, as any fule kno.

It's actually the section before 'a flower' which is in D, but I always remember the vocal line 'bang, bang, bang - bang, bang, bang' returns to the D.

The other one is the opening E bass note of Tom Sawyer. I reckon I could tune to that pretty well by ear.