Jump to content

Shipping via Sea or Air


Recommended Posts

Hello, I'm seeking opinions from the basschat collective.

 

I will soon be sending my bass from the UK to the US. I have the option of sending either by sea freight, which takes ~months, or by air freight, which takes ~weeks. The bass will be shipped in a ABS hardcase.

 

I have no expertise in this area, but currently have the following thoughts.

 - naively, I feel that the risk of impact damage to the bass is greater by air freight than by sea freight. (I have no evidence to support this)

- also naively, I feel that the risk of damage via temperature change is greater by sea freight than by air freight. (Again I have no evidence to support this)

- I'd like to pack the bass as well as I can. Does it help to stuff the inside of the case as much as possible with tshirts?

 

Any thoughts on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go air. The less time it’s in transit the better, and I think it’ll go through less ‘transitions’ via air. Make sure it’s properly insured and packed for sure, everything tightly packed in with foam. Leave strings tuned to pitch. Cargo planes and passenger planes are heated inside both passenger and cargo areas otherwise stuff would get damaged. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah totally agree 

I have always posted via Air and I never had any issues 

Once I sold an old tvr which I loved and spent more than 3 years as restoration project , loads of work and money spent on it and once I sold it I wasn't  making really any profit so decide to value the car a little less than I got paid 

Put it on a boat in a container ready for the journey in US and 2 container cupsized after rough sea, obviously one if this container contained my car i was heartbroken so I promise my self I'll never post by sea ever again 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Yeah totally agree 

I have always posted via Air and I never had any issues 

Once I sold an old tvr which I loved and spent more than 3 years as restoration project , loads of work and money spent on it and once I sold it I wasn't  making really any profit so decide to value the car a little less than I got paid 

Put it on a boat in a container ready for the journey in US and 2 container cupsized after rough sea, obviously one if this container contained my car i was heartbroken so I promise my self I'll never post by sea ever again 

Sorry to hear that. Was it insured? I read about a similar event recently, a container ship with tons of nice cars went under. A bloke I know had a brand new Porsche on it 😑

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ped said:

Sorry to hear that. Was it insured? I read about a similar event recently, a container ship with tons of nice cars went under. A bloke I know had a brand new Porsche on it 😑

Hey Ped I did read the news couple of weeks ago 

Apparently ferrari porsche and vw where on there! more than 400mil damage 

Mine was less damaged 😅 but I spent 2 years working on it and I was really attached to the car 

I didn't wanna sell it but we had to move away and we decided to sell it to raise some money . I did insure it  but only  for the money  that i have bought prior to restoration  than spent 2 years of work alot of material 

Probably lost about 3k and 2 years work 

The funny thing is that the were around 13000 containers and only mine and another one cupsized 

After that I went to a shaman ti see if I had any spells on me 

Such a luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/03/2022 at 22:37, Steve Browning said:

I would certainly say it's much colder at altitude than it is at sea level. 


I believe airplane holds are heated and pressurised nowadays. It helps reduce stresses on the metal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ambient said:


I believe airplane holds are heated and pressurised nowadays. It helps reduce stresses on the metal.

 

... and any animals being transported (horses, dogs, cuttlefish etc...). :|

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/03/2022 at 07:51, fiatcoupe432 said:

 

Put it on a boat in a container ready for the journey in US and 2 container cupsized after rough sea, obviously one if this container contained my car i was heartbroken so I promise my self I'll never post by sea ever again 

Ive sent exploration drilling equipment by air, and one lot was badly damaged with the nosewheel collapsed on the Hicksville Airlines 737 freighter as it landed in Panama.

 

So that leaves driving or rowing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...