Why become a member? ×

New neck purchase

Petey

I want to purchase a new neck with certain specs and wondered if any of your lovely fellow Bass Players could recommend a British company I can purchase one from. I don't want one made (way too expensive for my needs) just a simple purchase. Thanks x

3 hours ago, Petey said:

I want to purchase a new neck with certain specs and wondered if any of your lovely fellow Bass Players could recommend a British company I can purchase one from. I don't want one made (way too expensive for my needs) just a simple purchase. Thanks x

Letting us know the preferred specs would greatly aid in people giving advice :)

Si

11 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Letting us know the preferred specs would greatly aid in people giving advice :)

Si

Point taken Si - I didn't want to get to much into it at this stage as I was more interested to learn of supplies names in this country......but I still hear what you are saying, so - a maple neck/fingerboard reverse 4-string neck to fit a p-bass - any ideas?

34 minutes ago, Petey said:

Point taken Si - I didn't want to get to much into it at this stage as I was more interested to learn of supplies names in this country......but I still hear what you are saying, so - a maple neck/fingerboard reverse 4-string neck to fit a p-bass - any ideas?

A reverse headstock? A left-handed neck essentially?

If so that limits your options a fair bit, further than just buying some import from ebay. Probably your best bet is just a left-handed Fender placement like this:

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-player-series-precision-bass-lh-neck-22-medium-jumbo-frets-9-5-maple/?gclid=CjwKCAiA4KaRBhBdEiwAZi1zztKliyXQvL0KSy9aSCLsUDq9jowkqU7lU2K4e8Z7-b5ECeIC14SZFRoC9M0QAvD_BwE

Cheers

Si

On 10/03/2022 at 17:04, bloke_zero said:

Closest thing I can think of is these guys - https://guitarandbassbuilds.com/collections/to-order-guitar-necks-1/products/custom-shop-p-bass-neck

Probably not though as they would make it.

These guys are great. I got a rear routed lefty PJ bass body made of Ash from them for an excellent price. It took five weeks to arrive but it wasn't something you can get just anywhere. I'd recommend talking to them at least.

I also tried getting weird and wonderful stuff from eBay suppliers overseas and despite them having exactly what I wanted and me ordering exactly what I wanted, what arrived was different and then there were annoying snags like the machine head holes not being lined up straight with each other. They knocked money off but that's not the point, I had an unusable neck to the wrong specs so having it half price or whatever didn't solve anything. 

• Like 1

If i'm 100% open on this thread what i'm REALLY after is - a 4-string, reverse, all maple (AAA/AAAA) with a wonderful grain - tiger strip type - with the decal in a readable position - not upside down - probably expensive …..sound possible?

3 hours ago, Petey said:

Ahhhh- he means Status as in the necks/Bass company - I wondered where he was going with that comment for a moment 😂

Oh yeah, sorry, Status Graphite, but bad communication on my part, and not what you’re after by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Petey said:

If i'm 100% open on this thread what i'm REALLY after is - a 4-string, reverse, all maple (AAA/AAAA) with a wonderful grain - tiger strip type - with the decal in a readable position - not upside down - probably expensive …..sound possible?

Yeah obviously just buying a lefthanded neck is no use because the side dots will be on the underside.

Guitarbuild.co.uk could be a shout, not sure if you can chose the grade of the maple though, I have a 1-piece Ash Strat body from them and it's very nice.

Failing that, I'd be looking at importing from Warmoth. Been fancying a Reverse Headstock Jazz for myself!