Why become a member? ×

Things that you've learned from gigging... that you feel should be passed on

EBS_freak

Never underestimate a roll of black tape. It is such a simple thing to have, but has so many uses. From covering my blistered thump, taping cables down to reattaching the side mirror on the band van! [yes, you heard me right]. Always carry some with you 😉

BlackTape.jpg

Edited by Greg.Bassman
  • Like 2

On 10/04/2022 at 12:01, chris_b said:

If you are the last one to arrive don't be surprised if the rest of the band has only left you 1 square foot of stage to set up in!

BL: ''you'll be happy you're getting a riser all to yourself at this show''.

Turn up with enough time to set up, riser is covered in sax and trombone cases. Guess who gets it in the neck for holding up the soundcheck.

On 13/04/2022 at 23:28, Woodinblack said:

Not true, our guitarist normally turns up when everyone else does, but he successfully manages to provide no help with any gear. He just sits in the way.

I was unloading PA. One lazy git sauntered past me carrying a McDonalds wrapper. I forget what I said but the look on his face was as if I had threatened to deck him. He instantly forgot about putting his wrapper in a bin and his new priority in life was humping gear.

On 18/03/2022 at 22:43, redbandit599 said:

Set aside a few hours in a village hall with 'not great' acoustics and do a 'tech session' together. 

We did this when we got a Behringer digital mixer and it really helped us learn how to use all the functions. 

Makes sound checking in normal venues a breeze now.

This is great advice.

Also, do a session on balancing sound with the emphasis on people turning down to balance the sound, not turning up to balance the sound.  Drums not loud enough, ok - everybody else turn down a little and we'll see how that helps.

6 hours ago, Greg.Bassman said:

Never underestimate a roll of black tape. It is such a simple thing to have, but has so many uses. From covering my blistered thump, taping cables down to reattaching the side mirror on the band van! [yes, you heard me right]. Always carry some with you 😉

BlackTape.jpg

No silver tape is best. You have to put a length on the mixer and write what the chsnnels are on it. Sharpie doesn't show up on black.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No silver tape is best. You have to put a length on the mixer and write what the chsnnels are on it. Sharpie doesn't show up on black.

I am not a sound engineer, so have never had that problem 😉. Otherwise, yes, silver tape is more suited for the job 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Whilst silver tape will do the job, there’s a good chance it will leave residue which can be a bug*er to remove. 

Best thing to use is ‘pro console tape’, designed to be easily removed with no mess and also easier to write on.

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Whilst silver tape will do the job, there’s a good chance it will leave residue which can be a bug*er to remove. 

Best thing to use is ‘pro console tape’, designed to be easily removed with no mess and also easier to write on.

Or masking tape...works great for this!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, casapete said:

Just drop the mixing desk in a bath with hot soapy water. Job done.

• Haha 3

Just now, alant said:

Be aware if playing a pub gig there will always be a group of punters stood blocking the doorway of the almost empty pub when you are trying to load up.

It’s almost inevitable isn’t it. I have found that a 412 is a good deflector. If after asking them a few times to move and they don’t just walking into them with said 412 helps a lot.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Greg.Bassman said:

BlackTape.jpg

Gaffa tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and binds the universe together. 

• Haha 4

On 15/04/2022 at 11:26, casapete said:

Are you a nesh southerner or something 🤣 you can clean the residue off with Jack Daniel's.

• Haha 1

On 15/04/2022 at 11:26, casapete said:

Yes, gaffa leaves too much gunk behind. White electrical insulating tape (LX) is what was universally used when I was behind a desk.