Why become a member? ×

Things that you've learned from gigging... that you feel should be passed on

EBS_freak

21 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Tip from the past, always use big valve amps and keep your pie/pasty/fish & chips on top,  over the vents - for after the gig 😜

The smell of pie and chips wafting gently from the backline would be a massive distraction. I love pie. And chips. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Its one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. You dont have to be a musical genius, but playing music with other musicians, in a band, and making it work on stage, feeling the band lock into a groove. Its mesmerising, like magic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

NO! No-one likes warm beer 😉

Hmmm, warm beer is ok but hot beer is not.

Bitter, Stout, some Ciders and Red Wine are best served and imbibed at room temperature.

Lager (preferably San Miguel or Becks), White and Rose wines are ok when chilled.

Cheers.

Chris

• Like 1

Regarding drinks on stage, it was probably in the early 90's, the guitarist in the band I was in was taking his new multi-fx pedal out on its first gig. Sometime during the second set a drunk punter dropped his pint right on top of the new toy and that was the end of that 😟 Since then I've always used a plastic sports type bottle on stage and tried to encourage other band members to do the same. I don't care what other people think, it's a kind of insurance policy. Any drinks placed on the subs or other equipment get moved ASAP too whether the punters like it or not.

And as someone has already said, take a spare everything, or at least as many spares as you can, everything from fuses to cables to basses and amps. If you gig long enough something will eventually fail on you. 

Learn to use your EQ. It's thankfully not so prevalent now but back in the day you'd often see people with their 150 watt combo running at 11 with the smiley face EQ curve wondering why their massive 30Hz boost wasn't shaking the room like an earthquake. It doesn't matter if it's your sound, if you're not audible in the mix then you might as well not be there. EQ a sound that works with the other instruments and works in the room too. It might not sound so sexy on it's own but it's not all about you - unless you're a guitarist, of course 😃

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Black Gaffa tape. Multitude of uses, gigbags should never be without.

Also good for making gaffa tape wallets while you're waiting to play. Scrawl your band name on them and sell them to eager punters.

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

As the title says...

Everybody talks about gear and the like... but I wonder what other useful bits of information that people could pass on to make gigging life easier.

For me, it's quite a simple one. It's footwear - I wear a particular type of shoe pre and post gigging. And that is a Sanuk. https://www.sanuk.com/

This isn't a sponsored post or anything like that, in fact, I've only ever bought one pair that have lasted 10 years... and just today, I've ordered a replacement pair after the soles are showing a little too much wear.

So why these shoes? Well, the soles are made from yoga mats.... and there's nothing more comfortable to wear when you've been on your feet. So whilst all my bands mates are struggling with sore feet after standing for around 2 hours, it feels like I'm walking on air.

Maybe not the coolest look at a gig - but Im the only one that wakes up with fresh feet!

So that's one of my tips. What's yours? EDIT - looking for things not necessarily immediately music related.

Also, play sitting down, then you don't have to worry about being on your feet for 2 hours. In a punk band?, get a seat with the hydraulic adjustment, then you can bounce on it and it'll look like you're pogo-ing.

7 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Always have time for people who enjoyed your gig and come up after for a chat. Too easy to be wrapped up in packing up and not be generous with your time.

aha, we've found the singer that does anything but pack up.

• Haha 3

I learnt. . . .

• If you think something is too loud it definitely is.
  • The right time to get moulded ear plugs is when you don't have hearing issues.
  • If you think something is heavy, it's probably too heavy. Heavy does not sound better. 
  • Play like every gig is an audition for your favourite band. 100% is the only acceptable number when you are playing.
  • You'll meet a lot of idiots and aholes, so be nice to people, even the ones who don't deserve it. Prove you are better than them.
  • Networking is more important than tone. It doesn't matter how good you sound if you ain't got a gig.
  • Like 8

Have a wee before you start.

Buy pink leads. Makes them easy for you to spot and no one will steal them.

Often all a heavy bass needs to make it through a gig is a fat strap.

Careful where you park. If you and the bandmates park together it minimises the chances of car park damage to big, expensive motors.

Check your gear is present and correct before getting in the car. Then check again.

An extra bass is easier than faffing about restringing...unless your play a Steinberger.

You're not a wuss for wearing ear plugs.

Gaffa tape is a useful addition to your gig kit.

Always ensure you have on clean underwear and give your old chap a quick splash of cologne in case you get lucky with a groupie.

Edited by Bassfinger
Forgot to pack my bass
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't drink alcohol, only water, and only sip it.

Always prepare fully, especially if you have any anxiety issues.

Always endeavour to arrive early.

Check that you have everything you need prior to setting out.

Always print off or write your set list in readable font, and use black ink.

• Like 3

Don't go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant before a gig.

And make sure you look cool. Nowt worse than a band in jeans and standard rock tshirt - I like to arrive at the venue and the owner says "you're the band then" as opposed to thinking you're just some punter. We're in the entertainment business after all!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

check out the next song before you've finished the last one so you're ready for those no break in between the songs moments

Unless they are the ones where the singer skipped 2 songs, or the guitarist decided to pick a different song without telling anyone.

If all you can hear is your drummer in your IEMs, really loud, you have swapped 3 and 4 around again!