Why become a member? ×

Things that you've learned from gigging... that you feel should be passed on

EBS_freak

On 09/03/2022 at 11:39, sprocketflup said:

Another tip, again age related, print/write your setlist in a typeface big enough to be read with out kneeling down and squinting between the songs

And in black ink as red or blue disappears under certain stage lighting 

On 09/03/2022 at 19:33, skankdelvar said:

If, like me, you get a bit spooked before gigs try to get there before everyone else and, if possible, while the room's still empty.

Just walk around the room for a while and quietly think to yourself 'This is my room. I own it.' Then get on the stage and look out at the room and repeat to yourself: 'This is my room'.

It might not work for everyone but it works for me.

And don’t forget that you’re the most qualified and best bass player in the room, playing onstage at that moment in time.

p.s Skank is absolutely bang on re. the hat thing.

Lately it’s wearing a back support belt when I’m setting up and packing up.

First gig coming out of lockdown after months of working from home, not gigging and sedentary lifestyle majorly messed my back up for a few week after, more-so as it was one of those ones up a large flight of fire escape stairs and we were a couple of people down (inc soundman) which meant more gear humping. 

look after your health folks. 

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

Thank the audience and venue, and ask people to visit your social media channels or website.  It feels a bit tacky to do so, but many venues are booking bands based on their following. Plus a bit of free video footage is always nice.

Carry business cards, and maybe get a popup banner made with links to your website.

Set up a shared band calendar and make sure everyone uses it to mark their availability. It's a lot easier to respond to booking requests.

Oh, and don't eat pie and chips, or a curry before the gig.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 16:11, uk_lefty said:

Never. Never!! "Borrow" some disco lights on a whirly thing and think it would be cool to have the mains plug sat almost in an extension lead ready for you to press it down with your foot at the end of the intro to the first song and send coloured lights swirling round everywhere like a budget Jean Michelle Jarre show. It will most probably look cheesy, but it 100% will result in your instrument cable being drawn into the whirly mechanism and being yanked out of your bass, making you look like a bellend. Kicking the lights to death doesn't help get your cable back either or continue the song.

I learned this lesson so you don't have to. 

And that's why you should go wireless. Which reminds me, another thing I've learnt is, er, go wireless.

And headless basses are less likely to go through the ceiling/fluorescent light tube/singer's right ear (left if you're a leftie).

• Like 2

Aside from all the obvious things like making sure you have functioning gear and spares where they might be needed, I would say that the your bass will sound how the room wants it to sound. The settings I have when practicing at home or in the rehearsal space may not be what I end up using from one gig to the next. Some rooms are just awful for bass.

Oh and learn the songs. Inside out.

• Like 1

When the band learn a new song, make it very clear which version of it you're learning. Nothing worse than you learning the radio-edit single version, and your drummist learning the DJ Bongo acid house drug induced trance edit.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My late 80s early 90s experience.

Make sure the venue has a security, well nowadays it's probably a licensing requirement. 

When you play at small festivals/events don't volunteer, if there's an option to play first.

Don't wear spandex trousers.

Don't transport your entire kit on a public transport , including the drum kit.

Don't trust front house sound engineer.

24 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

If on stage in a touring musical show make your Gin and tonic in a sparkling water bottle. Then you look healthy and professional.

I'm legitamately using this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

If on stage in a touring musical show make your Gin and tonic in a sparkling water bottle. Then you look healthy and professional.

I did it the other way round, put my water in a Newqey Brown bottle to try and look more down wid it

Edited by sprocketflup
  • Haha 3

Other than back line and basses, I always pack the following:

A torch

A towel

Mic stand drink holder

Coloured leads (not black)

Deodorant

Stage clothes

Pre/Post gig clothes (including comfy shoes) 

Sharpie

A4 pad

Batteries

Fluorescent stickers

amongst a few other things 

• Like 1