Why become a member? ×

Things that you've learned from gigging... that you feel should be passed on

EBS_freak

4 hours ago, mikel said:

Its one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. You dont have to be a musical genius, but playing music with other musicians, in a band, and making it work on stage, feeling the band lock into a groove. Its mesmerising, like magic.

And to add to the above...

We are so lucky to be able to play music in a band and if we can play for other people who are enjoying it then that is the best, I still get all pumped up before gigs.

After about 60 years of playing gigs I'm now in two bands and can't wait until we can get back to real gigs over here in the colonies, at least we can rehearse now and a few venues are opening up for bands.

Most importantly have fun, that's the best part, if it's not fun find another band. 

• Like 1

Always check your route.

I once arrived for a gig at Blues At The Farm, Billericay when I should have been pulling up at Blues On The Farm, Chichester!!

So I was 100 miles and 3 counties away from where I needed to be!! I was 3 hours late for the gig. Fortunately it was a festival and the other bands agreed to change the running order!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

And make sure you know your titles :lol:

I was in a band that wrote its own original music, but until the songs had a lyric and an actual title, we would number them. All good, until the singer made the setlists and only put titles on it. I was completely lost, after having worked on these songs for such a long time and only ever using the number to refer to them. I've since learned all titles by heart but we also kept putting both the number and the title on the list.

Still, I'm sure there must also have been some fans who have been extremely puzzled when they took home a handwritten setlist that only said 17 - 24 - 21 - 5 - 23 in sharpie :biggrin:

Yeah, I think Blur did that...........

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Always check your route.

I once arrived for a gig at Blues At The Farm, Billericay when I should have been pulling up at Blues On The Farm, Chichester!!

So I was 100 miles and 3 counties away from where I needed to be!! I was 3 hours late for the gig. Fortunately it was a festival and the other bands agreed to change the running order!

Did you read my story about the two pubs with the same name...?

Funny though, a slight take on another problem - I remember when I had to have a glove box full of A-Zs to gig. The internet route print outs were fine... until the roads were closed.

If you frequently change your setlist, put venue and date on them. We had a guitarist play from an old one and start with the wrong song...

Mark leads and cables with coloured tape. End of the night, my torch is looking for leads with a red marking .

I have a power lead and 2 speakon cables coming out my amp. These are cable tied together and marked. Haven't left any cables behind since doing this and I used to lose power cables regularly. To the point I bought a load in bulk....

Edited by Combed20
  • Like 1

Bring 2 of everything (for the functions/covers circuit anyway). Don't leave anything to chance. Wear earplugs. Realise that less is more, PA and band volume wise. Not only will everything sound better/clearer for all involved but you won't scare your audience off.

• Like 2

If, like me, you get a bit spooked before gigs try to get there before everyone else and, if possible, while the room's still empty.

Just walk around the room for a while and quietly think to yourself 'This is my room. I own it.' Then get on the stage and look out at the room and repeat to yourself: 'This is my room'.

It might not work for everyone but it works for me.

If you find it a bit scary looking at the audience or making eye contact with them don't turn your back on them or stare at your instrument. Just alternate looking at your band-mates with looking out at the audience; look at a point just above their heads. That way they'll think you're looking at them. Tip: don't tip your head so far back it looks like you're being sniffy; they might think you're Adam Clayton

Unless you're a demon dancer, don't throw shapes. A gentle sideways rocking motion will serve for all but the fastest of songs and will help to keep the visual focus on the frontman. The only exception to this rule is if your guitarist(s) stand there like statues. Sidling up to the frontman and giving him a nod looks good and keeps his shaky morale up.

If you're going bald, embrace it. Except for Lemmy, hats are for pussies and leather pork pie hats are the work of the devil. If you want to compensate for your thinning or absent hair just shave it all off, grow a long, pointy beard and dye it shocking pink. 

Be nice to the punters: if someone requests a song and you don't want to play it just offer to dedicate a song to them or someone they're with. "This next one's for Linda, Barry's missus'. If someone tells you that you played a song wrong just smile and say 'Well, you can't beat the original. Are you a big fan of (X)?'  Every so often it may be absolutely necessary to punch a punter spark out. Try to keep this to a minimum.

Be nice to the landlord / promoter; compliment them on their premises and thank them for the gig. If they ask the band to turn down, comply immediately and without argument. The venue's licence trumps your signature tone. The time to punch them spark out is if they don't pay you.

Above all, have fun and let the audience see you're having fun. Happiness is infectious.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

When playing a hot sweaty rock gig, I always wear shorts as I nearly passed out from the heat whilst playing the Beat Generator in Dundee a few years back.

Some fresh air round the leg area does me the world of good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

When playing a hot sweaty rock gig, I always wear shorts as I nearly passed out from the heat whilst playing the Beat Generator in Dundee a few years back.

Good tip.

By contrast, one should be cautious about drinking pints of Coca-Cola. The barmen put so much ice in them. One time I had three pints of Coke in quick succession then went on stage, felt really ill and started literally shivering with cold.

Which was both very unpleasant and quite funny as our set list included Shakin' All Over.

• Haha 4

Remember that just because you have used a motorway on the way to a gig, that doesn't mean that it will still be open at one o'clock in the morning when you are driving home! 

Always keep a couple of clean tee shirts and a can of deodorant in your bag for after the gig. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

If you know it's going to be a really hot one, a vacuum flask of ice water can be a godsend. Amazing how many pubs don't have ice available.... plus, you know where it came from... 

9 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Funny though, a slight take on another problem - I remember when I had to have a glove box full of A-Zs to gig. The internet route print outs were fine... until the roads were closed.

I was driving home after a gig and found myself in a forest somewhere in Berkshire. It wasn't the way I came and I was very lost. I couldn't read either of the maps, because I'd left my reading glasses at home!!!

Good thread.

Always have a change of clothes before the gig. You’ll feel better and look better.

Never all look down while tuning. 

If someone makes a mistake, however bad, don’t acknowledge it, look at them or appear upset. You’re a gang, and you’re all in it together.

Look at the audience not at the floor.

Pack two of everything. 

Give yourself enough time to get to the gig.

Dont check your phone between songs (you look like an estate agent or like you’re bored)

Do take a photo of the audience from the stage. Weirdly popular with promoters.

Ensure your singer has practised some stuff to say and is confident engaging the audience. If not, give the mic to someone who can.

Save the inner band chat for after the gig (especially if you have not very nice things to say

Look at your band mates.

When the gig is over don’t be rude or aloof, or immediately unplug your gear and rush off (unless your wife or girlfriend is pregnant).

Say nice things about the venue on social media (if they are nice).

• Like 1

Be genuinely nice to the wait staff and bartenders. Don't order a bunch of fancy drinks when they are busy (I drink cola, water, or coffee), and don't expect free drinks. Complement the house staff from the stage. 

Use an instrument that stays in tune. I only expect to check tuning before the gig and possibly between sets. 

Don't talk too much. I hear old recordings of bands I was in and cringe at how I don't shut up and play.