Why become a member? ×

NBD ( well Thursday )

kodiakblair

Continuing my trend of simple basic instruments I'd been hankering for a Danelectro.

Owned then sold a Wild Thing model a few years back . No regrets over that; it was a short scale and I don't enjoy playing those 🙂 

Watching Dano prices increase , I decided to build one instead 👍 

Parts bought , template made, body blank etc . Had the choice of 2 necks, guitar neck re-purposed for 15 frets or a 32" scale from Retrovibe.

Then apathy kicked in hard 😧

Few months ago a lass near the Welsh border listed her Dano on a Facebook page, collection only  meant 700 mile round trip 😢😢😢 Re-listed the other week there for the attractive price of £235 , I gave serious thought to the drive 😃 

Common sense told me ask for help on Basschat. 

@alyctes was the first to reply then @Old Horse Murphy a few hours later ; fantastic result. Turned out Nick passes the lass's place on way to rehearsal. He did much more than just pass her place, he handled the entire purchase for me , what a guy 👍 Nick had it packed up and delivered to me by Thursday. Sadly I was up and about at 3am so was deadbeat by the evening , all I had left in the tank was a quick thank you note before bed.

Different story by Friday 😃 Spent a good few hours last night playing it and I'm over the moon . Nick had warned me it was strung with Fender flatwound cables and the action was a mile high. Bought a set of Rotosound 30-90 but tuned the flats DGCF and the action dropped to easy playing level 😃

Feast your eyes on this sparkling lovely.

IMG_20220303_194117499.thumb.jpg.9820700a7ab86a37b5ed66c1e4ac2ea8.jpg

• Like 15

Very nice. I'd seen this too and had some messages with the seller, but like you, it was a fairly hefty round trip. 

Decided against it in the end. Great price though for a great sounding and looking bass.

I picked up a "Commie Red" Dano a couple of months back. Great basses. 

Edited by umcoo
  • Like 1