Why become a member? ×

Rant on chancers and beggars

uk_lefty

On 07/03/2022 at 12:45, Daz39 said:

The same thing as goes through their mind when they see a 'firm at £400 price" - they ask: 'What's your best price?' (coz obviously I deserve a better deal)

"What's your best price" is also a pet peeve, regardless of whether I've said "offers accepted" or not.  It's as if haggling is a dying art form.  The best price is the one I advertised it at.  If you want to make an offer, then make one. Don't expect me to make an offer against myself for you.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

"What's your best price" is also a pet peeve, regardless of whether I've said "offers accepted" or not.  It's as if haggling is a dying art form.  The best price is the one I advertised it at.  If you want to make an offer, then make one. Don't expect me to make an offer against myself for you.

'Best price' is more than I'm advertising it for.

Over the weekend I saw a Tanglewood Rebel 4K bass for sale for £30 on FB Marketplace, clearly the person selling it didn't have a clue what it was as they listed it as a `Canglewood'.

I messaged them to say that I could be  with them in 40 minutes with the cash, they read the message and didn't reply.  I then sent them a short message asking `??'  which they read and again didn't reply.  Then Messenger flashed up that they had increased the price to £50 for no reason, they then replied to me and said that tomorrow morning would be better.  I replied that I was no longer interested as they had upped the price and they could stick it.

It's still a great price but I'm not being mugged off.  If it's still on there in a couple of weeks, I'm going to offer them £20 😂

• Like 2

When listing a bass in a higher (let's say 4 numbers) price range and you get this kind of message:

"Hi I am ..... I am 12 years old and want to play bass. I think your bass is beautiful, but I cant afford it. I only have .... (=20% of asking) and a few sticky pieces of candy. Will you please sell it to me?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's a subsect within the Chancers/Beggars sect and they are cold heart of day regretful buyers. Usually the denizens of ebay, I found them an extreme annoyance. Pleading emails to cancel the deal, to those guys who said 'Yes, I've changed my mind. You haven't shipped it yet, so refund me. If you post it, I will refuse it and open a case against you.' Thankfully, the one time that happened the sale was only circa £100 but that was a ruse I had never encountered before.

Men bleating that their wife/GF would go nuclear as the purchase was made from their account (yeh, right!), or just pleading to cancel the sale because they 'really wanted it but can't afford it'!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikNik said:

There's a subsect within the Chancers/Beggars sect and they are cold heart of day regretful buyers. Usually the denizens of ebay, I found them an extreme annoyance. Pleading emails to cancel the deal, to those guys who said 'Yes, I've changed my mind. You haven't shipped it yet, so refund me. If you post it, I will refuse it and open a case against you.' Thankfully, the one time that happened the sale was only circa £100 but that was a ruse I had never encountered before.

Men bleating that their wife/GF would go nuclear as the purchase was made from their account (yeh, right!), or just pleading to cancel the sale because they 'really wanted it but can't afford it'!

A friend of mine bid on a car once after a few sherries. Something like an 80's Cortina. Allegedly had no memory of it, but emails confirmed he had made the bid! Thankfully, he was outbid at the last minute.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, geoham said:

A friend of mine bid on a car once after a few sherries. Something like an 80's Cortina. Allegedly had no memory of it, but emails confirmed he had made the bid! Thankfully, he was outbid at the last minute.

I did that a few years ago after a couple of ales. Bid on an old XS750 and was outbid by £50 at the last minute. Would have been awkward, especially as I'd nowhere to keep the thing!

2 hours ago, geoham said:

To be fair, I've been a victim of 3am, whisky-induced purchases. But I never woke up regretting them and always paid for them. 

• Like 1

Well if you like the stories...

For a long time I held on to the special edition fifty p and two pound coins. Last autumn I decided to get rid and sold a load over eBay on 1p seller fees or whatever it was. I sold a fifty p for £1.50 and got full payment including postage but with a note saying "I collect". I had Covid at the time and was quite sick so I dropped the buyer a note saying "let me know when you're coming and I'll put it in an envelope on the doorstep for you because I've got covid." I got a very quick and harshly worded reply "only if you're going to pay my train fare from London, why would I travel to collect a fifty p coin?". I was polite in responding over the misunderstanding and said I'll post when out of isolation. The buyer sent another message but I missed it, this is important later. 

Time passes and my wife also caught covid extending my isolation period, then it was Christmas with post offices closed. I posted the 50p to the buyer quite late. 

I got a really snotty message a few days later "I got the coin eventually but you didn't write flat 1 on the envelope. There are three flats in this building it could have gone ANYWHERE!! I am not happy...." Blah blah. I reply politely, but cheekily added, but you did get the coin so I assume all is ok, good day to you. I got more angry messages over the address issue to which I replied "I apologize for having a medical condition that meant I both physically and legally could not leave my house and delayed posting you a fifty p coming you paid £1.50 for. I further apologize for missing off a small detail from your address, while the coin could have gone to one of your two neighbours (anywhere) it did not, did it? You have the coin you paid for even though you said you'd collect it" 

Then I found the earlier message I had missed from the day of sale: "Show me proof of where I say I collect or I sue you for libel". Now, admittedly I am not a lawyer but I do work with contract law on a daily basis so I cannot let a threat of legal action go without response and I'd love to go to court so I really don't want to turn down the opportunity to do so. I screenshotted the "I collect" message and responded to it, "please furnish your legal team with the attached exhibit as evidence for our forthcoming trial. I look forward to hearing from them". Their response? A screenshot of their address as on the eBay account and the message: IT SAYS FLAT 1!

This person must be an absolute joy to be around. As well as a terrible investor, exchanging £1.50 for 50p.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Drunken small hours ebay poker is how I ended up with a 1953 BSA B31 350. I not only honoured the purchase, but I nearly crippled myself riding it home from Lincoln.

Hard to regret buying that - lovely bike. Clearly your judgement was not impaired by the alcohol even though the size of your bank balance might have been! 

4 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Drunken small hours ebay poker is how I ended up with a 1953 BSA B31 350. I not only honoured the purchase, but I nearly crippled myself riding it home from Lincoln.

Props. That can't have been a cheap purchase!

I had two BSAs back in the day. One was a crappy old Bantam, about which the less said the better and the other was an A65 650 twin. Lovely machine - it's one of the few bikes I really regret selling.

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I

This person must be an absolute joy to be around. As well as a terrible investor, exchanging £1.50 for 50p.

That made my blood boil, but then I laughed at the laugh bit. 

I have a mate like him. Saw him recently. He brought a camera from Hong Kong. It arrived but the lens wasn't working.  He arranged to send it back, and the company agreed to an exchange, no problem, but he ‘demanded’ compensation, a full refund and wouldn't pay for the replacement until he had tested it 🙄.

• Like 1

I must have got lucky yesterday, had a very pleasant Polish chap turn up to collect a cheap PA rig I had advertised on FB marketplace. He paid full asking so I chucked in some cables and old stands. He payed by bank transfer but his bank were very slow to clear the payment. He sent me another payment via PayPal trusting me to refund him when the bank transfer cleared (which it did and I have!)

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Props. That can't have been a cheap purchase!

I had two BSAs back in the day. One was a crappy old Bantam, about which the less said the better and the other was an A65 650 twin. Lovely machine - it's one of the few bikes I really regret selling.

£2300. Its not a minter but very tidy, all original patina. I don't normally drink but a schoolfriend had died and I cracked open the bottle of Laphroaig id bought him for his forthcoming birthday.

It's not brilliant for someone my size and weight and struggles to top 55 as a result, but for unhurriedly pottering around locally it is quite pleasant.

But the seller was great, laughed his behind off when I told him the story.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Well if you like the stories...

For a long time I held on to the special edition fifty p and two pound coins.

Until you mentioned the pound coins I thought this was going to be a tale about a 1950s P Bass. 😉

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

£2300. Its not a minter but very tidy, all original patina. I don't normally drink but a schoolfriend had died and I cracked open the bottle of Laphroaig id bought him for his forthcoming birthday.

That sounds like a decent price. I'm wondering if classic bike prices have fallen back from a peak? They went utterly stupid for a while - two-stroke Villiers-engined crap like the James Captain (top speed 45mph ahead of a cloud of petroil vapour) were going for more than that a few years ago. Even Velocette LEs were fetching silly money for a while. 

Having said that - I've just had a wee Google and it does look like that's the case. Goldies, Venoms, Super Rockets and Dominators seem to have dropped back a bit from where they were about ten years ago. So do Black Shadows, albeit not quite as much.

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

That made my blood boil, but then I laughed at the laugh bit. 

I have a mate like him. Saw him recently. He brought a camera from Hong Kong. It arrived but the lens wasn't working.  He arranged to send it back, and the company agreed to an exchange, no problem, but he ‘demanded’ compensation, a full refund and wouldn't pay for the replacement until he had tested it 🙄.

Known the US as a "Karen"