Why become a member? ×

Rant on chancers and beggars

uk_lefty

I'm getting quite sick of chancers and beggars. Not through BC I must add, but when I have basses up for sale I often get queries from people who must be really chancing their arm on me being soft, stupid, or generous beyond any reasonable standard. I can understand a request of "if it's still available on payday I can offer you x" but I get far too many of these... Do people really post guitars half way round the world to people who just ask and have a sob story? It's not X Factor!!

Screenshot_2022-03-04-16-08-48-26_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is why I like selling through Basschat. Usually for a lower price than I would elsewhere, because the community here is, 99% well behaved and respectful! 

Absolutely hate selling through Gumtree and FB, the amount of ridiculous offers, rudeness and no-shows, it's not worth the hassle.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

This is why I like selling through Basschat. Usually for a lower price than I would elsewhere, because the community here is, 99% well behaved and respectful! 

Absolutely hate selling through Gumtree and FB, the amount of ridiculous offers, rudeness and no-shows, it's not worth the hassle.

100% BC deals are the absolute best. Unfortunately left handers are a very small market but I always try here first. 

I just don't understand why send a begging note. Does he think someone is just going to post a guitar to the Philippines free of charge because he's poor and can't afford it? I get loads of these, often with a lot of questions and pretending to be interested to buy before "but I've only got $100 to spend on a bass" or whatever. Bl00dy annoying.

Tell me about it.

Even on here I've had a couple of "My mate's got one for sale for £xxx so can I buy yours for the same price?"

Cool story, bro... Buy your mate's then, you dillrod!! 🙄

The vast majority of people on here are a pleasure to deal with though, both buying and selling.  I don't generally go anywhere else unless I have to...

• Like 4

I've advertised a few things free to a good home on Farcebook marketplace. You would not believe how hard it can be to give stuff away. The no-shows, the initial keen interest followed by total radio silence, the "oh sorry I thought you were in Town A but you're actually in Town B, that's too far away for me" (despite the fact that my ads always clearly state Town B)...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

I've advertised a few things free to a good home on Farcebook marketplace. You would not believe how hard it can be to give stuff away. The no-shows, the initial keen interest followed by total radio silence, the "oh sorry I thought you were in Town A but you're actually in Town B, that's too far away for me" (despite the fact that my ads always clearly state Town B)...

I have never tried it myself but several of these threads have had ''I was giving away a perfectly good XYZ on driveway, it sat there, until I changed sign to Price: £50, then it was stolen in ten minutes".

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

My typical eBay experience is as follows:

Fender Precision Bass, Made in Mexico, 1996, Full working order and in excellent condition. No hard case so collection only from Bristol. £450 ono

Then wait for questions:

Is this a Jazz bass?

What make is your bass?

Will you post it?

Where are you?

Is this an American bass?

Would you take £80 for it?

How old is this bass?

Does it work?

etc etc

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

My typical eBay experience is as follows:

Fender Precision Bass, Made in Mexico, 1996, Full working order and in excellent condition. No hard case so collection only from Bristol. £450 ono

'What does it weigh?' would be a fair question, though - you'd be guaranteed of someone asking that when advertising on here 😏

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Rich said:

I've seen this so many times on Facebook groups. Someone giving something away, then the taker also wants free delivery, and gets all huffy when the "seller" won't go out of their way to deliver something they're already giving away for free. 

The entitled attitude of some people never ceases to amaze me. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've seen this so many times on Facebook groups. Someone giving something away, then the taker also wants free delivery, and gets all huffy when the "seller" won't go out of their way to deliver something they're already giving away for free. 

The entitled attitude of some people never ceases to amaze me. 

I stopped advertising things for free because of this. I found putting a very low price on something deterred the chancers and general tosspots.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I stopped advertising things for free because of this. I found putting a very low price on something deterred the chancers and general tosspots.

I was listing three tort plates once, predictably each had a slightly different pattern. I offered buyers the chance to choose the one they wanted before despatch (or take a random one).

Every single buyer complained it wasn’t the one they wanted. How hard is “reading words” exactly? 

• Like 1

I get sick of these messages and can get quite rude. My understanding is not that the person is stupid, just that they think they can dictate how and how much I sell my gear for. Treat me like that and you get it back.

’Local collection only’ means i wont post to Italy  or Greece, but if you ask, ill string you along and waste your time, just like you are doing mine. 

Had one guy offer me £450 to post my Yamaha P34 to Greece, when it was advertised at £850 collection in london on here. I accepted his offer, then went silent. Then had about 4-5 messages from him asking about what it was, condition, can i send pics etc. All this was in the ad, with loads of pics. I never did get back to him. 

Yes, i could have just ignored it, but he could have not bothered either. It was obvious he was a time waster (offered half the price, then ask what it was) so why shouldn’t i be 😂

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Occasionally I get buyers send me their delivery address before payment, then after a few days and I haven't posted, they message to say they don't want it anymore. Not sure if they're ust chancing it or the reasons they give for canceling are genuine and they just got ahead of themselves. Still, the advert doesn't get changed to 'sold'until the cash is in.

On the whole though, BC marketplace is a good place to buy/sell, everyone seems genuine and i only go ebay etc if I have to.

• Like 1

You get just as many nodules as sellers.

A while back I made a polite and fair offer on a bass, which was advertised as O.N.O.  

The brusquely worded response advised me that the seller had already been offered far more.

To which I responded by way of asking why, if that were rrally the case, he had not accepted it then?

I was friendly and polite. If I'm not offering enough then just be straight and politely say so by way of a reply. No need for bullpois to go with it.

Edited by Bassfinger
Typos due to raging anger!
  • Like 2

If I sell an item, not on BC, I make it clear:

" collection only" . But, I still get messages, can you deliver? , when I reply no sorry, they often come back with a sob story.

But must say that BC are top blokes/girls, most go extra mile when selling or giving away for free.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I get sick of these messages and can get quite rude. My understanding is not that the person is stupid, just that they think they can dictate how and how much I sell my gear for. Treat me like that and you get it back.

Exactly. A lot of them are quite passive aggressive and like you, I take no prisoners if that's the case. If you get any real gems and you have a minute to spare, it's worth posting them on Reddit Choosing Beggars. Always good for a laugh. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Exactly. A lot of them are quite passive aggressive and like you, I take no prisoners if that's the case. If you get any real gems and you have a minute to spare, it's worth posting them on Reddit Choosing Beggars. Always good for a laugh. 

I sold a Bitsa a while back before joining BC. It was clearly advertised as a Bitsa made up from genuine Fender parts and priced accordingly.  It sold pretty sharpish at the end of auction for a little over what I expected. I did get one excessively rude pillock who messaged saying I can only off whatever desultory sum as it was such an “unsuitable” and random collection of parts. Erm yeah a Fender neck on a Fender body with Fender Bridge and tuners and a Tonerider pickup. Really random and unsuitable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

If I sell an item, not on BC, I make it clear:

" collection only" . But, I still get messages, can you deliver? , when I reply no sorry, they often come back with a sob story.

But must say that BC are top blokes/girls, most go extra mile when selling or giving away for free.

This is true to a point. I always feel safe and the transactions go smoothly on here. If someone gets in touch with a sensible message ill go and look them up. I like to see a post history so i know who im dealing with. Not so worried about meet ups, but even then i like to know someone is a genuine person. 

When i say ‘to a point’, i notice a hell of a lot of ‘members’ only join for the classifieds, and while BC does offer a level of protection, sometimes its no different from Gumtree or FB when it comes to pushy buyers. 

• Like 1

I reluctantly went back on Fickbook a few weeks ago to sell a few basses as I had just bought an amp and needed to free up some cash on unused basses. One guy lowballed me so I decided to test him and provisionally accept his offer. He then plopped it, saying he thought I was in the same town as him. Huh?

Also had two guys from Indonesia. I flat out refused shipping that far. EU is my limit. 

Had several of the 'I'll pay more than your asking price! Give me your address and I'll send courier with cash tomorrow!' scams.  A quick FO silences them.

• Like 1