Why become a member? ×

Incoming NBD - Bongo

AndyTravis

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

right. Now beer.

need to remember that Nick pickup is right there.

But this is a great bass with plenty of sounds.

I’ll do Some better vids when I’m not brain dead and 24,000 steps into a day 😂

Nice riff.  Not sure if I’ve heard it before - what is it?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pea Turgh said:

Nice riff.  Not sure if I’ve heard it before - what is it?

Er.

Its the notes out of one of our tracks (soon to be released) but played like a level 42 song called “43” I think.

message me your number in a bit - I’ll send the rough mixdown of the track.

To be honest - I had my bass hands on that day, not my knackered hams I have today 😂

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cato said:

I got serious Big Al gas after watching this a few years back.

It's obviously an incredible versatile instrument, but, aside from the unusal aesthetic perhaps, like the MM Reflex, maybe the sheer number of tonal options was a little intimidating.

I'd be forever adjusting every parameter in search of the perfect tone rather than actually playing the thing

I've got a Reflex HH and it really isn't complicated in terms of eq and pickup settings. It helps that the bass sounds great with the eq set flat, or switched out completely in passive mode. There's a lot of options, but like with any bass you  tend  to find what works for you and stick to it. 

What's most apparent is that, despite having a preamp which is essentially the same as the Bongo, the Reflex sounds completely different no matter how much you fiddle with the eq and pickup settings ect.

• Like 1

I have a Big Al 5 SSS and I would say it is the most interesting bass guitar I own. I am not so surprised they didn't take off massively as they are not a casual band member type of bass. The style is quirky and the pickups/pre amp are unusual.

All that makes for a great bass to me and I'm hoping I never have to sell it. No doubt if they re-manufactured these in 2022 they'd want £3500!

The Musicman factory seems to have backed off on production massively since covid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

That bass with a new set of strings sounds world class, Andy. The unique Bongo tone is very apparent, even listening on my phone speaker. Makes me want to get my Bongo out and play it. Probably won't though.

You should. 😜

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briansbrew said:

@AndyTravis well having tried the bass I got for Andy I just had to get one and as luck had it a bassist in Co Durham had 2 and this tangerine one was going begging so here she is.. 

IMG_20220318_213128_edit_121828921394429.thumb.jpg.78007231b3c1d1576b642fb5a40bc2b2.jpg

Lovely bass, Brian! 

In case you are interested, that finish is inspired by a colour used on vintage American muscle cars in the 1960s/1970s that is much sought after by collectors nowadays. The Dodge Challenger driven by the Dukes of Hazard is probably the most famous example of a tangerine muscle car. That colour used on your Bongo isn't identical- it uses the modern pearledcent paint that is on some American cars nowadays- but it is a reference to those old cars, nevertheless.

image.png.9ca0240116240042951687db3d5bc54e.pngimage.png.9ca0240116240042951687db3d5bc54e.png

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1