Why become a member? ×

NBD - Yamaha RBX6JM John Myung Signature

Machines

A few months before I even flirted with playing bass, I was getting into very different music to that i'd grown up with (hard rock/grunge) and bought on recommendation 'Dream Theater - Live Scenes from New York' in ~2001/2002. On bass, was John Myung, sporting a rather immense looking 6 blue string bass. I was utterly blown away by how well he played and sounded, and am still a Dream Theater fan today. A year or so later I got into bass, and my parents gave me a  very generous £500 budget for a 21st birthday present, that ended up as a Yamaha RBX775 in Flat Blue, because it looks a bit like the RBX6JM, but it was cheaper. The years went by, and I still have it - just defretted and refinished (red goat leather, yes really).

Anyway - late 2020, I see an RBXJM2 in Plum Pearl appear locally on Facebook market, for a decent price. I really wanted that turquoise RBX6JM, but this was the next best thing. It was a little messy, but i've replaced the rusty pickup and it's now sounding great - it's a 6 string Stingray at heart.

April 2021, I see an RBX6JM in Turquoise appear on FB market, at a good price ! Quickly I message the seller...he replies fast. It sold 30 minutes ago to someone in Europe, but they hadn't paid yet. I offered a cash deal the next day (a drive to Bristol for me), alas he honourably sold it to the first buyer, after they paid him the next day _ don't begrudge it, but I was gutted for the sake of half an hour. OK - well i'll find another one !

The Bass Gallery had 2 on their website, both at £999. This is by far the most expensive i've ever seen these basses, gave them a call and they wouldn't budge more than £100 on price, I wasn't going to be robbed, so held out. eBay alerts, daily checks of the big (and small) websites second hand sections, online pawn brokers..... nothing.

*10 months of checking daily later*

Friday PM, I load up eBay on the morning catch up of newly listed items, scroll... scroll... oh man. A turquoise RBX6JM, at the right price, I contacted the seller and saved a few quid buying it outside eBay, it took a little while longer than expected to arrive. But it did, along with a genuine fitted Yamaha hard case (never seen one of these before)

Behold - the bucket lister.

PXL_20220303_124137929.thumb.jpg.e9b26cdd14602992219ac97cc1e3a7d5.jpg

PXL_20220303_123824212.thumb.jpg.fea8df69fca7514d3983d99b3611c886.jpg

PXL_20220303_124221608.thumb.jpg.c7cb46b6db2c3f3b6aec2b7cc037e2ff.jpg

PXL_20220303_124233534.thumb.jpg.de44d7a788127590ed9e2f83e4ccb118.jpg

PXL_20220303_145422802.thumb.jpg.4fc1758c451e6e32e28a28d95c188ac6.jpg

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I had an RBX765A but also wanted a JM6. Such lovely things.

Oh yes I had one of those too, as some type of intermediate replacement, it didn't work out. It was a decent instrument, it didn't sound that far off to be honest, but the looks weren't there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

I do remember seeing those two models up at the Gallery for nearly a grand each and thought that, even for London prices they were hugely trying it on. 

They'd knock £50 off max when I asked. In the end I paid just over half that.

• Like 3

Great story and congrats on finally landing the 6JM!! Scenes From A Memory and Live Scenes From New York were milestone records for me as a bass player, and I still come back to them 15 years after I first heard them! :) 

Edited by funkypenguin
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update - took it to my bands recording session today - it recorded very well. Flat EQ, straight into the board - I think it may be a go to recording instrument.

Even managed to get a bass solo in there up to 22nd fret on the C

image.thumb.png.ea344ef02b77fde59103a177964db774.png

Edited by Machines
  • Like 4